CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

always seems to need choke

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy always seems to need choke

hi all, im wondering if any of you can put my mind at rest?
When i come to start that bike for the first time, i can never get it started without useing the choke, but when the bike has warmed up there is never a problem!!! is this somthing tipical of the hurricane or could this be a tempreture thing?, i used to have a heater in the garage over the winter and for the best part it would fire up first turn of the switch, but now the weather has warmed up iv'e since turned the heater off, and now need choke. could this also be down to my carbs, i have also recently fitted a new battery and plugs. Any thoughts boys and girls

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Yeah same here in Oz mate.Choke required to start,first start of the day.As yours, once warmed up no issue starting.
In the dead of winter here,with usualy minus 3,4,5,6 etc overnight,takes at least 3 good goes to start.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Yeah, I'd agree too. First thing in the morning here (about 0530) it can still be less than 5 deg and damp, mine starts first kick of the starter on full choke and sits about 1100rpm slowing increasing within about 10secs so I start backing off on the choke so not to annoy the neighbours. Even after sitting about for a few hours of cooling I'll give it about half choke initially to fire her up, but that's up here where it aint too warm yet, but it's getting better

Old 04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark , I'm down in Brighton , but I guess we must have similar temp's , took her for a spin this afternoon and tried to start her without choke 'cos it was warm , she nearly started but no dice. As soon as I gave her the choke she fired right up and she was fully off choke at the end of my road 500yds or so.

I find she'll be good for 3-4 hrs depending on temp's after that she might need a touch again.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Thats normal---we all use our choke---thats what it is there for--- be happy

Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Totally normal.

I always have to choke mine in the mornings (bike, that is..)

Sometimes, I even have to choke it after it sits all day at work. Seems to fire off fine if I take a ride at lunch time, but after 8-10hrs (even in moderate temps) it sometimes needs a little choke boost.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM

thanks for your valued replys lads, my worries are now put to rest, there's no one around here with 1000f that i know? so no one to talk to face to face, so thank god for this forum, iv'e learned so much over the last couple of weeks just reading your posts, so once again lads many many thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cadwell marky mark
thanks for your valued replys lads, my worries are now put to rest, there's no one around here with 1000f that i know? so no one to talk to face to face, so thank god for this forum, iv'e learned so much over the last couple of weeks just reading your posts, so once again lads many many thanks
That's why were here mate and it works both ways

Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cadwell marky mark
If you pop down the road to Cleethorpes, you can chat to my whole family
Grandad was Port Captain of Grimsby !
Up the Mariners !!

By the way, choke always even in our hot climate, here in the land of the Zulu..................
It seldom gets below about 8C here, so it's not just about temperature, mefinks ?

Last edited by Shadow; 04-21-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: always seems to need choke