CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Alternator fault ? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/alternator-fault-146784/)

00sjs00 05-13-2013 03:17 PM

Alternator fault ?

Hi first of hello I am what you will call a newbie just registered and this is my first post.
I have a problem with my 1992 cbr 1000f she rides well until I either go a little bit faster than I should ( sorry officer ) lol or it is windy in other words when I have to accelerate more than usual, then she blows the main fuse. I have got by with it but really think I should fix this problem. My mate says I could be the alternator, just looking for conformation if there is anybody out there that can help it would be appreciated.
Thank you H.

hawkwind 05-13-2013 04:17 PM

Welcome to the forum :)

Exactly which fuse is blowing? I know you say the main fuse, but where is it located.

Have you looked at the charging system at all?

Normally a fuse will blow because of a short circuit, have you checked any of the wiring for signs of wear/overheating?

00sjs00 05-13-2013 04:31 PM

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I have checked the wiring don't seem to be a problem there, the fuse is located on top of what I think is the soliniod (sorry not really mechanically minded) but I do what i can.
Thanks H.

Sprock 05-13-2013 10:13 PM

Check you wiring around the starter solenoid area - sounds to me like
vibration induced wiring shorting / grounding out just like Hawkwind
suggested might even be a dicky solenoid jiggling about loosely

00sjs00 05-14-2013 12:09 AM

I will do thank you gentlemen :) H

TimBucTwo 05-14-2013 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 1232403)
sounds to me like vibration induced wiring shorting / grounding out just like Hawkwind
suggested

Two things I'd check up front,
(1) shorting out under the throttle pod. seams like a good twist shorts things out.
(2) voltage at the battery at idle and voltage when rev'ed. could be the R/R sending to many amps.

Sprock 05-14-2013 07:42 PM

Well boil my battery it's TBT :D - good suggestion about checking your R/R too !

Shadow 05-15-2013 01:44 AM

I think "da boys" have it spot on ! :)

Overcharging is generally a sign of a reg/rec on the way out, or low water level in the battery due to it being "cooked off" from overcharging.

Check your reg/rec wiring under the left side pod - rear - look for scorched wiring or a melted plug......................

Happens to all of us at some point.

Welcome to the asylum ! :)

Sprock 05-15-2013 10:17 AM

One other item oft not considered - if the battery is getting past it's
useful service life it can hasten the untimely demise of an R/R and if that
scenario is subsequently rectified (excuse the pun) the stator field coils
are next up on the chopping block.