CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Advise needed, start clutch prob. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/advise-needed-start-clutch-prob-124130/)

Timo 04-19-2011 02:19 AM

Advise needed, start clutch prob.

Hi All,

Season has just started in Finland, with big problems.
Bike start get symptoms last autumn, start motor turns really lazy, bike was almost impossible to start normally. Push start worked really well, short push with 2th gear, starts immediately.
Other weard symptom was power loss in higher rpm's.

So far I have fix start motor, didn't change anything, turns still lazy.
battery is new, all ignition components are measured and seems to be OK.
Spark is quite weak, starting seems to consume all current.
So far everything points to start clutch. Please tell how difficult it is fix, do I have to break bike in peaces???
Someone who has experience of this, all advises are welcome.

If it's really big job to do, I will get good excercise during summer by push start my bike.:icon_doh:

davethepom 04-19-2011 07:25 AM

Firstly, hello mate! Secondly, start with the simple stuff. Go right through the loom and check for crappy connections, especially earths! Look for signs of arcing or pinched wires and clean everything. My $$ is on a partial short at this stage.

Good luck and keep us posted. There's some fellas here who are quite clued up in electrical matters so you might have to wait for them to chip in if it gets more complex.

Regards,

Dave.

Sprock 04-19-2011 08:28 AM

Everything you wanted to know about it.........but were afraid to ask :D

Howdy Dave !

davethepom 04-20-2011 07:52 AM

WOW!

No wonder I was afraid to ask:D:D.

Timo 04-20-2011 12:38 PM

Inspection and more inspection...

Wiring inspections nearing, so far nothing abnormal. I'm gathering now tools for bigger task!
I did ask price for new alternator damper from local Honda dealer, 140€, expensive, but life is...
Can someone explain function of eg. part, more particular the fault mechanism. How it makes more friction and muffles start engine???
Anyhow, if I can fix she with 140€, it's really worth of money.
Especially, I'll get bike out from our vestibule, which muzzles hopefully nagging I've listen since I parked bike there. :icon_blah:

Sprock 04-20-2011 09:13 PM

Not sure I'm understanding everything there Timo ?

Ya checked the wiring out ........ and it seems normal
New damper is 140 euro at the dealer . .... that's life ! :)

Then I think you are asking how the the little fiber damper plates work ???
"Shadow" can best explain that one since he has done it a few times :)

Oh ....... she's been nagging about the bike being in the vestibule
That's an easy fix ...........put it in the Kitchen :D

Timo 04-21-2011 02:20 PM

Yep, you get all right. Sorry my language, it has been issue since basic school....

I have tried to figure out failure mechanism of start clutch, without success!

I understand purpose of damper, it's like fuse between two separate system, engine and alternator.
But I don't get why start motor comes "lazy" when damper breaks down. Maybe I'll figure it out when I get old damper out of engine and put it on peaces.

Sprock 04-21-2011 03:06 PM

Timo I believe the fiber plates wear down ......... get thin and less able to hold friction ! (Slip)

So is the bike in the Kitchen :D ?

Timo 04-21-2011 04:11 PM

Nah, bike remains still in vestibule. I bought some earplugs instead:icon_teeth:

Thanks for info!

4 days holiday, hopefully time to fix everything. I will tell how the job will progress!!

slowride 04-21-2011 05:09 PM

If the starter is not getting enough amperage it will spin slow (weak or lazy) how many miles on the bike? If the brushes in the starter are wearing out they will not make good contact to the armeture and will produce this lazy start you speak of. It will spin fine on a bench with no load but under the load of the motor it willbe lazy or weak. Had the same problem with a car starter tried everything then put new brushes in the starter and BAM problem solved.
Oh and good call on the earplugs...... :-D