CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Advice on Wheel/Bar Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Wheel/Bar Alignment

During my last two rides before I stored my bike for the winter, I noticed the bars were not lined up as I think they are supposed to be when travelling on straight level roads. They were off to the left consistently. So, when parked on the center stand, on level ground, I lined up the bars as perfectly as I could and took a look at the front end. It appeared from what I could see that the front wheel was turned slightly to the right, while the bars were straight across, in line with the Honda logo beneath the gauges. I took the pics below after I saw this. This obviously would explain the bars being off center left when the bike is going straight. To the best of my knowledge, the bike has never been down or damaged in any way. I haven't noticed any irregularities in handling, but I haven't gone above 85mph, and don't corner aggressively (at least not until I take an advanced MSF course in the spring).

My question is, based on what can be seen in the pics and what I described, is there anything I could try in order to get the wheel/bar alignment just right short of replacing parts, or is it just something that should be lived with if it does not affect handling at all? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20539/0E256B2B248A4E1ABCDBF04B1DDA8AA1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20539/3420436FDFEB4D95B1B7DAC74DC6E157.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20539/54BF38AE05A94FB19BCCBF0149E58E74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Advice on Wheel/Bar Alignment

If the bars have no locking pins to the upper tree, they can be loosened and adjusted to match the front wheel. Check in the manualwhichtourqe to use. Also check that the fork legs are securely fastened as they should.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem with my old GPZ - we stuck the wheel in a corner and gave the bars a good tug, and that sorted out the problem - I don't know if it'll work with a CBR though, mine also look a little crooked on a straight road, but it's not that bad that it really bothers me......

Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM

I would make sure that your dash and fairing are on staight first. If the dash is off 1/4" it might seem like the bars a way off even if they aren't.Mine seems to be off a little too, but the tire wear is even and others who ride with me tell me the bike tracks straight and true.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks very much for the advice, guys. Having just received the service manual from Shadow, I'm going tocarefully attempt an adjustment. Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think a good starting point is to check the bars first.
When I first got my bike the bars were turned in. I loosened the pinch bolts and turned them out. Maybe on your bike one is in and the other is out.

How does the bike act when you let go of the bars at highway speed? Does it drift left or right or go straight?

Old 01-05-2008, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

I think a good starting point is to check the bars first.
When I first got my bike the bars were turned in. I loosened the pinch bolts and turned them out. Maybe on your bike one is in and the other is out.

How does the bike act when you let go of the bars at highway speed? Does it drift left or right or go straight?

The bike does track very straight when I release the bars on the highway, nothing erratic ever occured.

I am a little confused about something here....When I think of the "bars", I'm thinking specifically of the right and left clip-ons. But it's actually the fork top bridge, I believe also called the upper triple tree, (part no. 13 in the diagram), that is not aligned straight across with the Honda logo on the bottom of the instrument panel when riding straight and level. So when we talk about aligning the "bars" are we talking about a possible adjustment to this bridge, or an adjustment of the clip-ons? It would seem that adjusting the angle of the clip-ons only wouldn't align the bridge correctly with the lower panel when riding straight? I hope I'm I making some sense here. Also, are the pinch bolts part no. 16? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20539/9368F0FDC3F04FDF87540CF20A5F76E2.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Roger, I think we are on the same page now. I should have said clip-ons. I did not know if the clipons were giving you a funky feeling. If the upper triple tree is alinged but the wheel is off you can try loosning part #19 on both sides and with your legs strattling the wheel twist the clip-ons right to aline the wheel to the left. Rock the clip-ons back and forth gently until you find a netrual spot and retighten the upper triple tree. The other option is to do the same but loosning the lower triple tree. It would nice to loosen both the top and bottom trees but the bike will drop and fall as nothing will be supporting it at that time.

I think, because you say the bike tracts straight when you let go of the clip-ons, nothing is bent.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM

Timbuc, thank you very much. I'm gonna try that part #19 fix first, along withStray Cat's advice aboutchecking the dash and fairing correctness.

I see now thatI actuallygotcareless in my first post about this. I kept saying "bars" during the description of the problem, rather than referring specifically to the brace or triple tree, whichwas theactual part not correctlly aligned with the lower dashpanel during riding. My apologies to all for any confusion.

[sm=sorry.gif]