CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   ADCUT brake discs (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/adcut-brake-discs-139842/)

Sebastionbear1 07-02-2012 07:19 PM

Hey Dub, if you don't want them any more...............just post them (and the wheels/tyres) to me :) :icon_fryingpan:

Cheers, SB

Sprock 07-02-2012 07:55 PM

Well SebastianBear there's one helluva lot more meat and surface area to those.

I'm real interested to see how these test out for Dub tho' !

Sebastionbear1 07-02-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 1174035)
Well SebastianBear there's one helluva lot more meat and surface area to those.

I'm real interested to see how these test out for Dub tho' !

Yep you are right Sprock - comparing the two there is more metal on mine.

As you are, very interested to see how the Adcuts' go.

Cheers, SB

Indiana Hurricane 07-02-2012 08:41 PM

:icon_hijack:

Here are some off of Flebay I've found and I've kept my eye on, when I need to get some new one.

Shadow 07-03-2012 12:31 AM

I'd love to fit those 4 pot calipers to my old girl, SB.
There's a laser cutting shop up the road (near where the giraffe hangs out :) )
I'm going to chat to them about a new set of discs.
May show them pics of Dub's discs and get an opinion.
This is not a critisism at all, Dub, I think the discs you made look fantastic,
just want to be like the Irish "to be sure to be sure" :eek:
Having a disc shatter isn't on my menu this week..............

Sebastionbear1 07-03-2012 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 1174102)
I'd love to fit those 4 pot calipers to my old girl, SB.
There's a laser cutting shop up the road (near where the giraffe hangs out :) )
I'm going to chat to them about a new set of discs.
May show them pics of Dub's discs and get an opinion.
This is not a critisism at all, Dub, I think the discs you made look fantastic,
just want to be like the Irish "to be sure to be sure" :eek:
Having a disc shatter isn't on my menu this week..............

The discs I bought Shadow, were Laser cut - by the looks of it from the same manufacturer as in Indys mail #14. Paid about $89 AUD/disc, then a guy laser cut the mounting brackets in stainless as well. Calipers from ebay and Bob is indeed your Uncle.

I have spare set of 6 pots from a TL Suzuki sitting in the shed just waiting for the right bike to come along Shadow.

You never know - he says reaching for the measuring stick - what they may end up on??

Cheers, SB

CBR1988 07-03-2012 04:55 AM

RE ADCUT Discs

Hey:

To lay fears of disc shattering to rest, I can assure you that this is not something that was just implemented without lots of R&D prior to me even bringing it to this forum. They have been Magnafluxed repeatedly in the beginning to check for micro cracks and so far they have been found to be good. On the stopping that is a test that will be implemented and comparisons noted from stock to this current shape. Decreasing the distance was not a main focus but maintaining at least the stock level was. So far that is about all from my few thousand of miles of testing, that has been achieved in that area but this was also meant to be working with a dual piston caliper very much like the one SebastionBear uses and is going on the CBR1KF when I convert it back to the Superhawk front end with better springs and longer fork tubes. But I did not want it to skew my imperical data that I was trying to gather by changing to better brakes and front forks. The 94 VFR that they are on is totally stock and has less than 6k miles on it, so was the perfect test bed and so far so good on it. BTW I have not even shared this with them guys over there on that site yet. You guys were the 1st group. I have been wanting to do this since the spring but wanted to make sure of not having any issues prior to releasing any info.

A version of this has been in developement for over 13 yrs but because of the location of the item and since it is safety related alot of tests had to be completed before we could get it to this stage. There is also alot of research into the holes shape size and angle that had to be done to get max cooling and friction without putting undue stress on the disc, taking it into the failure zone. Which is alot farther away than you would think it is.

This item was developed for something else not unlike our bikes but with an off road purpose, where noise and clogging, and weight reduction were it's main developement and engineering focus.

The reason for just cutting up stock discs VS making new ones is that they are the very best material and hardness for this developement. They are not lazer cut as this would change the metalurgical hardness and properties of the area where the cuts are made.
The holes being linked was a simple solution to what we were after with the shapes.

Shadow, I do not suggest that they be lazer cut, a water jet would work way better or other new cutting tech method. If you do use a lazer the surface area has to be increased greatly (much smaller holes) to remain in the safe zone. Ask me how I know?

ADCUT is a company that specializes in ADvance CUtting Technologies hence its name. WWW.ADCUT.net
The current cost is about around $100-120 USD Price is based on diameter size, plus you would pay shipping both ways for all 3 discs, to get this done to your rotors. They will have to meet the wear level and flatness test that needs to be done prior to shipment or you would be wasting your money on shipping. The details will be released at a later time, but basically flat and straight and well within the thickness prescribed by the OEM manufacturer to get the most out of this investment. Obviously bent or very worn discs will not be done, but a check needs to be accomplished prior to shipment to insure your item can be done. I will not give any further sales info on this as I am not sure if the forum allows it and do not want to violate any rules here as this is just informative at this point and not seeking customers so if this taking it to far let me know what to delete and I will do it.

Nothing against some of the Chinese ones but the ones we had tested later on, did not meet the requirements we had inplace at the time as the cast stainless is hard but also very brittle in the areas around the cuts, and when extreme HI temps to cryrogenically cold tested do shatter or crack if more material is removed than what they come with by Lazer cutting, something we were after (size and shape of the cuts). (This is all within reason BTW and is within the std specs to test items without many more years and enviromental conditons needed)

We also have to be mindful of current Patents and not infringe on them. This developement is current Todays tech, but the idea was put in motion in the late 90's there was just no easy or cost effective way to do it then as compared to now, and when hardness tested did not show us the level we were looking for at the time.

Also TBT and Sprock heat transfer is not the only factor in braking, surface contact area, friction level, and then cooling cycle in that order are the top 3 of what most stopping technologies are looking for. We also have the added need of self cleaning (not clogging) and noise reduction that are just important for this developement. Also the other part of this is the brake pads and using carbon metallic or hi metallic compounds seem to work very well for its intended app. I have thease on 5 different bikes att, the CBX in my album is also using them as well as a VFR, a Goldwing, a VTX and a purpose built sand dragger ATV

I hope this answers most of the ?s and concerns of you guys have and keep them coming, that to me is what a forum is for. Multiple inputs can never be a bad thing in developement you don't have to use any or can use them all the choices are up to the developer. This not for everyone nor was it intended for a shorter stopping distance, if that is a added result then great as long as it is not worse than stock I am fine with that, and so far that about where it is at.

Lastly 1 other thing the folks at ADCUT (Mike and Chris) stepped up to the plate after a few others had failed or went under, this put a big hassle in the final work up as they got the 6th and 7th real (1st for bikes) working sets completed just awhile ago to allow some comparisons from the original work done by the others. They are new to this but came onboard like they had been there from the begining. They helped complete a project that was stalled out, and losing altitude fast. (for us, they have only done a few sets so far but hit a home run on the first set, as the 1st 10 prototypes all had issues of some sort because of the way they were being cut by others, and the other company went under after completing only 5 sets for what they were made for)

Dub

kiwi TK 07-03-2012 05:26 AM

A comprehensive and obviously well researched reply CBR.

I kind of had the feeling reading through some of the responses that we are, in the main, road riders of advancing years. Let's be honest, most of us have wives and children; there is no way that any of us should be pushing so hard on the road that massive heat build up should be a potential issue.

If the product has integrity up to the normal production standards there should be no question as to it's suitability for road bikes.

Last time I checked I wasn't Valentino Rossi.

http://www.autoevolution.com/images/...ork-6936_1.jpg

Shadow 07-03-2012 05:48 AM

Hell me either but then he uses carbon discs at thousands of dollars and doesn't have to dodge taxi's and other muppets :) and he changes the stuff after every race.........

That's a great write-up Dub and yes by laser I was referring to a waterjet. Too much heat otherwise. For my own peace of mind I'd just make the slots a good bit narrower :)

Maybe SB's 6 pots will turn my bike into a Honzuki :eek:

Sprock 07-03-2012 05:56 AM

With that kind of R&D Dub ( my metallurgically astute friend ) and after those kickazz
stainless water "T"s ya sent me .............. How much would a set of those puppies
run me ? :) Love to run a set on my 1990 - ya know the one that's waaaay faster than
Shadows :D