CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

'93 1000f questions/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 1000f questions/concerns

Hey, Ill give you guys the lowdown on my bike bc i dont know exactly what you guys might need to know for advice. I live in St. Louis MO, in the us, and since from my understanding, this bike is more easily found in the UK.
i got my bike last summer from my uncle who never really rode it anymore, because he started a family, etc. it sat in his shed for about three/four years unridden, so i had to put in about 1000 dollars into having the carbs cleaned and tank cleaned out. i bought the bike for about 2000 USD. it had 27000 miles on it (yes, not kilometers, sorry UKers. lol jk)I also had to replace the regulator because it went bad as well. Since it was inexpensive, i also put in new spark plugs, just to be on the safe side.
Im a new rider, this is my first bike, and i know relatively nothing about motorcycles. i do, however, consider myself mechanically inclined, so if i had a good comprehensive manual, (which I dont know where to get for my bike) i might know a little bit more about my bike and maybe take on some minor projects on it.
anyway, aside from those things i have a few questions about my bike that are probably easily answered by you bike gurus. just a bunch of newbie concerns/questions that i would like some input in. im hoping that the generality of this post could also server as a starting point for people like my self : )

~ i took off my exhaust to paint it and my back fork (swingarm??) because the idiot owner before my uncle appeared to have put in the battery overflow tube directly over it, successfully eating a layer or two off of the right muffler and fork. i drill-sanded both down and repainted them both, and they look nice now, and also put in a new overflow tube setup(the way it should have been). When i took off the mufflers, i realized, holy crap, they weigh a TON. so, im interested in a new exhaust,
~what are the disadvantages/advantages of different types of exhaust replacement systems such as slip on, bolt on, complete systems./compared to price.
~where, with me being in the US, can i realistically expect to look for aftermarket exhaust for my bike, (or UK alternatives that would ship to the US) i am interested in a more racing style sound, because with the stock exhaust, my bike sounds practically silent. I dont want to be pulled over for excessive noise though. lol.

~i might be interested in a fender eliminator kit for my bike, bc the fender is ugly and huge IMO, and from some of the kits ive seen on this forum, theres a few out there. i would like to know advice concerning how to go about it, what would i need, and i wouldnt be interested in screwing up the outside visible part of my fender, if thats possible.

~if anyone knows websites that cater to this bike, that i could peruse for potential replacement/custom parts that would be cool.

~also any other tips/ advice on maintanence that i should look into for the bike.

like i said, im a noob at bikes, and your all probably rolling your eyes at this post, but if you could suffer this new rider, i would appreciate it. thanks alot.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Default RE: '93 1000f questions/concerns

Hey:
Welcome to what I think is one of the best and most informative web sites on the CBR1000F.
1st exhaust you will probally get a bunch of different answers as everyone has a good opinion of how they ride
the CBR and its main use. I think the slip ons from Yoshimura, V&H, or Micron work well $100 USD used to $ 450+
USD new chk EBAY, get a jet kit $75-150 and K&N cleaner $50+ to complete this package. If its been sitting for
awhile chk the tires for cracks make sure they are up to the task of riding. Also chk ebay for the fender elim, use
cbr1000 fender eliminator for search. Good luck, be safe, and hope this bike is one that keeps you happy for many
miles.
Ebay link for fender elim http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM

well damn the luck. i just checked this post right after the bid for that fender eliminator kit ended its auction. i would have bought it [:@]---------

(edited) nvm! i found another one!
now, i need some guidance on where to get turn signals that would fit on/work with this particular kit with out drilling into the side of my bike lol.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:03 PM

~what does a jet kit do exactly, and what does it consist of/entail? does it enable better gas mileage? what is the best manual for this bike? clymer? haynes?

since im in college and have a part time job, i am of limited means. in what order should i complete these improvements?
fender eliminator kit (bought)
turn signals for license plate (still looking)
slip on exhaust
jet kit

would that be the right order?

Old 04-22-2006, 01:31 PM

i just got that fender elminator kit that cbr 1988 recommended with the ebay link. i guess i need turn signals/license plate light that wont get me pulled over? where could i find some, that look decent and work well with this?
any suggestions?