CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

'91 resuscitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 resuscitation

Hey guys, I've had a few CBRs in the past (a 600F2 and a 900RR, to be specific) but just picked up my first hurricane this afternoon ... a 1991 that was perilously close to being taken to the dump: PO pulled the engine and swapped out the starter clutch but then it sat in the corner of the shop for a year or so, being neglected. My plan is to have it up & running within a month ... first step will be to get the motor back into the frame, and then I can do the usual "bike-that-has-been-sitting-for-awhile" stuff. There's a great wealth of knowledge in this section and I hope to contribute if/where possible ... if nothing else, perhaps I can entertain with pictures & misadventures!

Anyway, just wanted to post up & say 'hi' before diving in. And if anybody has tips on how best to get the motor & frame lined up for easy installation, I'm all ears ... I played with it a bit once I got it to my place today, and have some ideas, but experience trumps theory.

Dave

PS I'd have pictures posted already but my phone decided to eat the micro sd card ... way to go, samsung.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome
Get the manual from
www.blackbears.ru (free)
Getting the engine in is a bit of a mission, but you'll get there.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the link to the manuals! Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of detail spent on "install" of the engine. However, I had today off and spent a few quality hours with the bike ... got the motor into the frame (or, more accurately, the frame over the motor) and actually got the rear mounts (bolts) in place! Next up is making sure I have all of the remaining hardware and/or replacing any rusty pieces, plus associated extras like o-rings, gaskets, etc. Fun!

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the progress thus far.

Attached Thumbnails '91 resuscitation-img_7580.jpg   '91 resuscitation-img_7583.jpg   '91 resuscitation-img_7585.jpg   '91 resuscitation-img_7588.jpg   '91 resuscitation-img_7589.jpg  

Old 05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good work !
You don't perhaps know why the motor had been removed in the first place ?
I hope it doesn't need too much work like primary chains and/or other big bits.
Good luck and keep us in formed !

Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummm +1 good going with it.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it's coming along pretty well, man. Good deal.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Good work !
You don't perhaps know why the motor had been removed in the first place ?
I hope it doesn't need too much work like primary chains and/or other big bits.
Good luck and keep us in formed !
The starter clutch was bad, so the PO pulled the motor, replaced it with a good, low mileage unit, then lost momentum and it sat untouched for a while. I got it for a song and set out to get her up & back together.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised I've gotten this far in just a few hours .. it surely would've been easier with a real workspace and tools (i.e. a hoist) but my bootleg setup seems to be working ok.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything else to it until Sunday but I'm planning to track down various bits & pieces between now and then. I also would like to replace the rear shock/spring as the one on it got in a fight with battery acid and isn't looking too good ... are they interchangeable for all years? (haven't searched yet but am about to)

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Dave. Looks like you're doing well with it..would've been a waste if it'd gone to the wrecker!

I notice from a couple of the pics that the front clamps have been shifted waaayyy down the forks. You might have done it yourself to lower the machine for the motor to go in. I thought I'd just mention it in case that's how you got it and when you ride it, you may find the handling a bit weird at high speed.

Man, that's a narrow workspace. I hope you can get out when she's all together..

Dave.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by davethepom
I notice from a couple of the pics that the front clamps have been shifted waaayyy down the forks. You might have done it yourself to lower the machine for the motor to go in. I thought I'd just mention it in case that's how you got it and when you ride it, you may find the handling a bit weird at high speed.
I'm glad you mentioned that, Dave ... how she sits is how I got her and I was thinking they were awfully low. I'm more used to clip-ons mounted below the triples so I knew the old girl would be sitting higher than that, but this just seemed absurd. I'll certainly rectify it prior to taking her out for the first ride!

And she fits through the doorway ... barely.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Another hour of work, another good bit of progress: the motor is now completely bolted into the frame and the front wheel is back on. Next up: reinstalling the rear wheel & chain, then cooling system & fluids ... she'll be up & running in no time!

Quick Reply: '91 resuscitation