CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

'91 CBR 1000F Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 CBR 1000F Front Brakes

Hi all. I just got my forks back from the shop. Everything was going fast and steady; forks back in, bars, wheel, calipers, new pads...... bang bang bang no snags. Knew it was going to well.

I am having a fit bleeding the air out of my front brake lines. I've done this many times before on cars, trucks, dirt bikes, quads, ect and have never had trouble. Everything is checking out (bleeder open, no leaks, ect.) I just keep pullin and pullin on the lever to bleed 'em and I'm getting no where fast. Am I missing something? Or do I gotta just keep pulling that lever. I have both lines open, should I shut one off 1st? They were completely dry.... problem? (can't immagine why...)

help!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Michael , recently changed front pads and cleaned up the callipers myself .

Do one side at a time , pump like crazy with the bleed nipple closed to build up a little pressure then release the nipple just enough to relieve a bit of the pressure . It took me ages 'cos I think I was opening the nipple too wide and allowing a bit of air in the system , went through nearly two bottles of brake fluid untill I figured what was happening. Eventually it will run clear! Mine are well and truly flushed through now though!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Unhappy

Hey hawk, thanks for the info. How long did it take? I've been pumping like a madman for 30 mins and more or less gotten no where. This is boggling my mind. Wouldn't it gravity feed eventually? I have barely gotten 1/4 a master cylinder in....

Old 05-25-2009, 05:54 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe because they were completely empty it may take longer to pump through . I was there for about an hour , it was coming through , just not clear of air bubbles.

Definitely do one side at a time , if it's not going through with the nipples closed then pump it with one nipple open (may be better) , then if it comes through , shut it off and do the same on the other side. If it's all empty , there may be too much air in there to build up pressure using the first method.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM

If you keep the nipple/s open it will suck air in and out, it will never bleed. You can do it like Hawk said (puming it while closed, then holding the lever and opening the bleeder nipple) There will be lot of pressrue with this method so have a rag over the nipple or put a vacuum line over the ne dof the nipple/ bleedign screw and let it collect in a something like a Pepsi can. OR you can do it the slow way and open the nipples and WAIT. Gravity will pull the fluid down but it will take time.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Red face

Thanks guys, I'll give it another go. Man the rear was soooooo much easier. Here is a few of the old girl, finally done. (except the brakes)

Attached Thumbnails '91 CBR 1000F Front Brakes-100_2121.jpg   '91 CBR 1000F Front Brakes-100_2133.jpg   '91 CBR 1000F Front Brakes-100_2123.jpg   '91 CBR 1000F Front Brakes-100_2129.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you keep the nipple/s open it will suck air in and out, it will never bleed.
Good call, Imo.

micheal, very nice bike, man.....
Looks dam nice for the mileage!

Betcha feel pretty good getting done with all that other stuff.

Ride safe, bud..

Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some tricks you can use
1 Pull the brake lever and tie it back to the grip. Fill master cylinder and leave overnight.This will help to fill the cyclinders at the wheels
2 The front has two brake hoses - if you clamp one shut (not too tight just so fluid won't flow) and work on the other one, it's like doing the rear.
If you don't clamp one hose the air will run back and forth and drive you mad.

Don't forget cars usually only have one brake line to a wheel, bikes have two in front, and they're linked.

Last edited by Shadow; 05-27-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a non return valve that I fit in a tube, and work much cleaner and quicker. My earlier response was based on you having no such tools at hand.

Quick Reply: '91 CBR 1000F Front Brakes