CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

91 1000F. Tempt me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 1000F. Tempt me.

I rode an 87 honda magna (super magna) for around 14 years before I had to sell it to make ends meet. Never thought I'd get on a "bullet" bike. Recently bought an 00 katana and got a feel for it but the bike's just not comfortable for me.

Saw a craigs list post for someone wanting a smaller bike to teach someone to ride and he has a 91 cbr 1000f. This bike is used, 38k miles. It's got some pieces that need reattached with some sort of glue. It's paint is faded. It's got a tinge of road rash. The mirror plastics are faded. It needs some love basically.

I always kept the motorcycles I owned in impeccable condition, washing and waxing and never had to deal with flaws unless I made them and they were instantly fixed and brand new. The katana I bought had been laid down on both sides but still looked great for a dropped bike and I realized I could probably deal with a not so perfect motorcycle.

But the power just isn't there and I'm not a knee dragger by any means but my 87 magna seemed way more fun to crank the handle back on than this thing. So I rode this bike (CBR)a couple of times, and other than various cosmetic issues this thing fits me well. It's got ample power, exceptional braking and when I ride it it feels safe whereas on the katana my 6'2" 240 lb frame feels like a burden on the thing.

Now on to your input. The cbr's clutch feels a bit loose, already did the pricing at around $300 installed for everything clutch related. The rubber needs replaced fairly soon, will barely pass inspection. It needs a new chain badly, It's depressing to look at it. Those 3 areas are my concern as well as resale value which I'll get to later. I've got a good source for some tires at a good price, but wondering about what brands will provide the most wear and still stick well, totally your opinions of course. Was considering the conti road attack.

Regarding the clutch, anyone had to replace one and at what mileage. Briefly browsing this forum I read the clutch is hydraulic. This bike is grabbing and not slipping it just doesn't have the grab I've felt on other motorcycles I've owned. Should I not worry about it till it slips?

Chains.. I never had to replace one. Who's got a good reference for what to look for regarding that and I know I should likely toss a sprocket on while the wheel's off anyway, any ideas on that as well? I don't need to do wheelies, I just wanna go fast and corner with confidence.

Now regarding resale. Ipicked up the 00 katana for 1900 us cash, in perfect condition it's worth like 3390 according to kbb.com and has 18k miles. The cbr shows a value of around 600 less than the katana but it has a K&N filter and a two brothers racing exhaust which in my opinion probably evens it out pretty good, not perfectly but good enough. So technically my question is this.

If you could buy a 91 cbr 1000f that needed some tlc regarding plastics, two new tires, a chain and sprocket for $2200 would you do it? Essentially that's what I'd pay for the thing if I swapped straight up on the katana.

Oh and feel free to tell me things you like about this series versus others you've owned, I'm still new to the sport touring scene. Thanks in advance, nice forum.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Default RE: 91 1000F. Tempt me.

What Can I say, The only other bike I would rather have is a CBR 1100 XX.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 PM

I'd say no. I bought my '95 in 2003 (so it was 8 years old at the time) with about 12,000 miles on it and with very similar issues (plastic-tires-chain) and a yoshi exhaust for $2000. So to pay $200 more for a bike that is twice as old (16 years old now versus 8 when I got mine) and with triple the mileage does not sound like a great deal to me. Now, I have no opinion as to what your Katana is worth, so I'm assuming that your numbers are relatively accurate. Keep in mind that we're kinda late in the riding season in most areas and that there are deals out there to be found. I would think that you could find a later model 1kF with fewer miles and without the issues you described for around $2500 now. Maybe ask the Craig's List guy to kick in some bucks to even out the deal.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph

I'd say no. I bought my '95 in 2003 (so it was 8 years old at the time) with about 12,000 miles on it and with very similar issues (plastic-tires-chain) and a yoshi exhaust for $2000. So to pay $200 more for a bike that is twice as old (16 years old now versus 8 when I got mine) and with triple the mileage does not sound like a great deal to me. Now, I have no opinion as to what your Katana is worth, so I'm assuming that your numbers are relatively accurate. Keep in mind that we're kinda late in the riding season in most areas and that there are deals out there to be found. I would think that you could find a later model 1kF with fewer miles and without the issues you described for around $2500 now. Maybe ask the Craig's List guy to kick in some bucks to even out the deal.
Dang Paco, I know you're right but I hate that I know you're right. I already tried to talk the guy into new rubber and problem is it's not for him and I think he may be interested in a lesser bike but not really that interested in dishing out cash to teach his godson to ride. Best thing he could offer was a set of front brake pads unused, and a helmet he didn't even have in his possession that he stated wasn't as good as the one I got for $80

*sigh* I may be stupid enough to still do it but I'm gonna try and work him for some other form of asset, seems he may lack cash right now but might be able to work something worthwhile out of him. Thanks for telling me what I already knew. Just to add though, I do really like the bike and something tells me worst case scenario I buy the thing for too much it'll be worth that much in the spring..

Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 AM

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a 1000F, after all I do own one and overall it is a very good allrounder and a very civilized bike. However, it took me a fair amount of work to get it that way. There have been times when I wished I had held out a little longer and spent a little more money and got a bike with NO significant issues. My bike came with all the plastics on (missing some tabs, though), but it had been repainted (yellow) and even though it looks ok I'd much prefer the stock paint on at least some of the 1000F models, but to reproduce that would be quite expensive. Bottom line, it seems to me, is the Craigs List bike is not the only 1000F on the market. The only benefit of going the Craigs List route seems to be that it would save you the hassle of having to sell your Katana.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 AM

This bike is stock, The only missing tabs are on the ones behind the rear seat and one broke off and the other needs the littleplastic cotter pin replaced, one tab is still intact. The old stock paint is actually quite good except the really faded part in the front fenderwhich I think some rubbing compound may solve.

There is possibly one other benefit to swapping I'll confirm today and that's the fact I don't think I'll have to pay taxes again on a straight swap. I dunno, It's a used bike for a used bike. I still may do it, I'm drooling for this thing.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM

I wouldn't pay $2,200 for the bike you described. These things, regardless of them being great bikes, don't fetch high dollars. You can find low-mileage examples in mint condition for around $3,000. Once you put the time/money into the repairs/maintainance that the bike you're interested in needs, you'll already be in that neighborhood.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Don't do Slick,

girvin02and pacoare right on. The money you spend to get the high milage cbr up to your standards will far exceed the dollars you could put together with a straight sale of your Katana and you will deffinately find a later, lower milage whatever.
I don't regret what it took to get an 87 right but realize thatthose same dollars could have been better spent.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15149/DCED9AA93E274E5A8971F55A3C5B7016.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
jmc

I just got a 90 1000f about 2 months ago. I feel I paid top dollar for it market wise but value wise it was a great deal. I looked at many newerbikes for more money but they were not as mint and had been "ridden". I needed a commuter that could do it all, fast, comfy, and good looks didn't hurt. They wanted $3 and I offered $2300.00. It is all orig. paint and plastics w/23000 miles. After buying it I wanted to know what I had so I had a "peice of mind tune up" done. A tire, air cleaner (age) fork seals and valve adj. and it was in outstanding condition says the mech. I love it but if I could get 2500 out of it I would take it(kid needs a new quad).
The plastic is worth more than the bike as a whole.
Soooo I too feel the 2200 is too much. Watch ebay, the 1000f are going cheap it seems compared to other "sport bikes". Good if you are buying and know what you want, bad if you sell them.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 PM

That price for that condition is way to much money. My wife scored me one the same year with less miles for 1300.00 out the door.

Quick Reply: 91 1000F. Tempt me.