CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

90 CBR1000 runs but poorly...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 CBR1000 runs but poorly...

I traded for the CBR1000 without even firing the bike before i brought it home. After running the battery down trying to start it, I discovered it leaked fuel out the vent tube and flooded the new plugs.I removed the carbs, found the choke lever on the carb was bent, and alot of small rubber dots inside the vacuum chambers. I took the carb float bowls off, pulled floats, needles, mains, pilots and slides out of the body of the carbs.used 3 cans of cleaner, ran a bread twistie wire through the jets to clean out. reinstalled carbs back on the bike, fired but still would not take fuel. gas still spewing from the vent tube under the bike. I have removed again and decided to replace the intake boots between the head /carbs due to being hard and cracked.I also re -checked the float levels to 8mm's. I did not see an idle mixture screw in the float bowl. Do 90, 1000's have these?
I'm trying to figure out what else i can do and check on till my intakes get here.

ANY info would be a big help. Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gas still spewing from the vent tube under the bike
Needle and seat in the carb bowls are deceased. You need new ones.
MrCycles*Honda*Kawasaki Polaris*Suzuki*Yamaha*Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles
Ayres Adventures - Guided Motorcycle Tours
idle mixture screw in the float bowl. Do 90, 1000's have these?
Yes they do, I run my mixtures at 2.5 turns out.
small rubber dots inside the vacuum chambers
??
Maybe the mebranes have perished......?
Look at the exploded drawings at mrcycles and you'll see their location.

And some brands of carb cleaner are not friendly to rubber, like O rings.....

Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 PM

Can I get an actual picture of the idle air screws on the 1990 CBR1000. The float bowls do not have a hole in them to access from the outside, OR are these the wrong carb's on this bike? Thanks!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 AM

As requested
BTW they aren't IDLE air adjusters, they are the air correction needles for the running of the bike all the way to full revs !
If you want pics of the carb balancing screws they are different........let me know.
They will balance the carbs and alter the "smoothness" of the idle (and improve camchain rattle)
Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails 90 CBR1000 runs but poorly...-air-correction-needle.jpg   90 CBR1000 runs but poorly...-air-correction.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 AM

Thank you! It does help. I tried to remove these on 1 carb but all it did was spin. wouldn't go in or out to clean out.These are only used to smooth out the idle AFTER the bike is running ,correct?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 AM

These are only used to smooth out the idle AFTER the bike is running ,correct?

NO -

BTW they aren't IDLE air adjusters, they are the air correction needles for the running of the bike all the way to full revs !

If one of them just spins, it's a problem - there are springs which fit over them (see pic) and have a thread on the outside which allows for adjustment.............and they have a rubber o ring on the shaft to ensure a correct seal.

You'll need to get the thing out to check it......

Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM

I'm not sure exactly how these work. I have had no luck removing any of these from the carbs. They all seem to just turn. I cannot remove these by screwing them out.I also removed the float bowls again to gain access with no luck that way either.

I'm planing on re-routing the vent tubes up under the tank as opposed down the frame out the right side of the swingarm. I also checked the needles and seats and check the operation with a remote Motion Pro gas supply. Fuel ran into the carbs, and shut off without running out of the vent tubes.Trying all options before i install back on the bike.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Keep turning it anti clockwise and it should come out after about 10-15 turns.........

Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by rvnkvn
...I did not see an idle mixture screw in the float bowl. Do 90, 1000's have these?
Can I get an actual picture of the idle air screws on the 1990 CBR1000. The float bowls do not have a hole in them to access from the outside, OR are these the wrong carb's on this bike? Thanks!
Thank you! It does help. I tried to remove these on 1 carb but all it did was spin. wouldn't go in or out to clean out.These are only used to smooth out the idle AFTER the bike is running ,correct?
I have a 1990. Here's a picture of the mixture screw. It is on the outside of the carb, not inside the float chamber. The screws are gently turned in all the way, then 2 and 1/2 turns out. Carbs 1 and 4 are easy to get to. Carbs 2 and 3 are almost impossible to adjust when the bike is running.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 AM

I'll try it again when i get home tonight. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: 90 CBR1000 runs but poorly...