CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

90 1kf with start problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 1kf with start problems...

ok so the other day i go to the mall to meet some friends and park my bike... well after about 15 minutes of talking they wanted to hear my bike start up and i go to start it and nothing... so after i get a tow home i take everything apart to figure it out and nothing seems to be wrong... i put a voltmeter up to the battery and it reads 12.4 all the way to 13.2 at full charge but at 12.4 it wont start... so i use the wifes car to jump it and it started and ran just fine... i ran it to 5k rpms and the voltmeter said 13.4... is that normal??? so i took it for a ride and it ran just fine without any problems till i got it in the garage and turned it off and tried to restart it and nothing... the battery is quite old it seems and i would rather replace that then to have to replace a generator on this bike... please if anyone has any suggestions id love to hear it cause im exhausted trying to get this bike running...

Old 08-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New battery and maybe a new generator to if jumped with the car motor running.

These bikes need full juice in the battery a week battery and nothing happens.

If you jumped it from a car with the motor running then you are probably
looking at a new generator too...........sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Hopefully it's just the battery.......Walmart have them cheap and have the sealed
more expensive ones too

Honda Motorcycle Battery Applications

Last edited by Sprock; 08-11-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New battery
If you jumped it from a car with the motor running then you are POSSIBLY
looking at a new CDI too............ alternator/stator may have been damaged but don't think so based on Voltage output. Reg/rec could also be faulty/starting to go - voltage should be up around 14.5 volts at +4000 RPM.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

90cbr1000f, if you are getting 12.4v at the battery when not running, it may or may not be it. I also get around 13.5v when running. I would tend to think that the extra boost from the wife's car battery may be just enough to give the Starter Solenoid a big bump to start the bike.

#1 If it were me I would first try to short the solenoid's battery/starter lugs to eliminate it from your trouble shooting.

#2 You may also have an intermittent starter button problem.

#3 Do not rule out the side stand switch

#4 or the clutch switches.

One thing for sure, as mentioned above, do not jump the battery while it is in the bike.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 AM

no my wifes car was off when i jumped it... i just used the battery to see if it had juice enough to start it... well i went out and got the interstate high perfprmance battery and i can already see a difference it is holding more charge and also it is starting up after i ride it around for alittle bit... i would like to change the generator if possible but i cant see myself paying 500 dollars (US) for this part... if anyone here in the states has one that works and they are not using i would love to buy it off you for a decent price... please let me know... thanks...

Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM

You only need the gen.COVER - that has all the electrics in it.
$200 odd from www.mrcycles.com
check the reg/rec first.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM

ok can someone please link where i can find the regulator/rec and how i can check it please... thanks...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Also i just removed the generator cover and there is oil inside of the cover... is that normal??? cause i know in the realm of car mechanics the alternator is a dry electrical unit... please advise if this is normal or if i need to clean this out and replace an o-ring somewheres... thanks...

Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 AM

Start with the battery. Sounds like it has some plating in it which would cause good voltage reading, but poor amp flow. I would get a can of electrical parts cleaner at autozone or wherever and hose out the gen and cover. bolt it back up and double check voltage. Should be fine, since the system was already loaded with your battery, and not a dead one. That would be a 'shock' to the system.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 90cbr1000f
Also i just removed the generator cover and there is oil inside of the cover... is that normal??? cause i know in the realm of car mechanics the alternator is a dry electrical unit... please advise if this is normal or if i need to clean this out and replace an o-ring somewheres... thanks...

This is normal - runs in oil. Watch the oil ring between the cover and body of the alt/stator

90cbr1000f ok can someone please link where i can find the regulator/rec and how i can check it please... thanks...

You only need the gen.COVER - that has all the electrics in it.
$200 odd from www.mrcycles.com

Quick Reply: 90 1kf with start problems...