CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   '88 Problems (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/88-problems-157446/)

IAGator 04-19-2018 12:46 PM

'88 Problems

Hey everyone, been lurking since last summer when I got my hurricane and need some help with some problems that have sprung up.

At the end of the riding season last year, the bike developed a serious fuel leak. It covered the whole left side of the bike and floor. I thought it was the petcock and since it's unserviceable, ordered a new OEM one.
At the same time, I started the stick coil mod. When I finished that, couldn't get the starter to do anything because I messed up the grounds on the coils but got it fixed and all was good. Except the leaking still continued. I tracked it to the fuel filter/fuel pump area. I removed both to inspect and replaced the fuel filter with a new OEM one and reinstalled both, but replaced the fuel line for connecting the filter to the pump with a regular fuel line for a car (in case it was the problem lol).

Now the problem I have is that the bike won't run. After I did all the work, it ran fine for a couple of minutes, reved to 5 or 6k rpm no problem, but started to bog down and idle rough, similar to when it runs out of fuel. It eventually stalled and won't fire up again. The starter runs and the engine turns but it doesn't seem to be trying to fire off. I'm not really sure where to look as I see fuel getting to the filter, but did notice when I took everything apart to look for a cause that there didn't seem to be as much fuel in the line from the pump to the carbs as when I took it off the first time. Could the pump be bad or incorrectly hooked up? I can't recall if there was anything else that had to be unhooked when removing it besides the red connector on the top and the fuel lines.

Anyone have any guess on where I should be looking?

tentacleslap 04-19-2018 02:23 PM

Will it run if you bypass the fuel pump?

I'd also check that the vent hose hasn't clogged up, and maybe confirm that the strainer screen isn't clogged up either

IAGator 04-19-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap (Post 1313670)
Will it run if you bypass the fuel pump?

I'd also check that the vent hose hasn't clogged up, and maybe confirm that the strainer screen isn't clogged up either

I haven't tried bypassing the fuel pump yet. Gotta figure out how I'll run the fuel line without kinks.

I'll look at the vent hose tonight as well as the strainer screen. That is the filter that goes on the petcock and into the tank, right?

tentacleslap 04-20-2018 02:45 PM

Yup. It should be a cylindrical plastic screen sticking up into the bottom of the tank

You can probably prevent kinks by putting some of those springs around the line at the sharper bends

jarvid 04-22-2018 09:42 PM

Get rid of the pump altogether, most people do this to their 88`s, even Honda dropped the fuel pump after the MK1`s

IAGator 04-23-2018 10:50 AM

I tried it bypassing the fuel pump and it ran good so I removed it and all is well now.

Thank you for the help guys.