CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

88 hurricane carb stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 hurricane carb stuff

Okay, I have removed the carbs cleaned, and replaced all gaskets and needle float and valve seat, didn’t touch the pilot screw because Honda manual suggested not to. My first attempt to run resulted in gas pouring out of the air or atmospheric pressure holes? I believe that is what they are there for? Anyway, I adjusted the float tab and it stopped leaking by then it seemed to be getting no gas. (too far) Adjusted them again and now it would start but not idle long. Adjusted again and it starts but idle goes from 1000 to 3 or 4 thousand. Shut the choke off and idles at 200 or 300 for a several seconds maybe a minute then stops. I have read many things about carbs, but I’m a little stumped. Can anybody read this and the symptoms and suggest what I’m missing? I feel im making progress, but? Its an 88 silver hurricane, new plugs, air filter, oil filter, the needle valve moves in and out fine. I wish I understood carb theory better. Is it correct to say the pilot valve controls air going across the main jet which turns the liquid gas into a mist and the plug ignites it and so on.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pilot jets and air screws control low rpm idle and running and on a MK1 carb set
I would pull the pilots and clean individually and pull the air screws and do same
they are very prone to fouling and the bike won't run right until it's done.

You may want to run some cleaner through the pilot jet / air screw passages to
to make sure all crud and grime is washed out - these jets are tiny and the slightest
piece of dirt will clog those tiny orifices and affect smooth precise fuel/air mixing
required

When you put the air screws back - screw all the way in gently and back out exactly
2 1/2 turns each.

Then set your idle rpm when refitted

Also you may want to pull each carb cap up top and check all slide diaphragms
for holes or rips

Last edited by Sprock; 07-15-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

I'd have to say that is a pretty impressive effort.

Day one of membership, one post (seemingly innocuous, but very badly written {when will people learn to use the enter key to make a new paragraph?}) and he's already banned.

So, a big cheer to the "Grammar Police" for nipping that one in the bud.

Or is it the IP Police?

Last edited by kiwi TK; 07-15-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 AM

Must be something of a record "How to really p s off someone without really trying" the award for this should go to swanswan

Old 07-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi JK
Must be something of a record "How to really p s off someone without really trying" the award for this should go to swanswan
Now I may just be an Antipodean thicky, but I'm not sure what went on here? Who/how did he/she pi** someone off?

Perhaps the OP should have been called SwanSong?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Banned

Banned ?? What for exactly ?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:21 AM

Unfortunately; I understand that there are some people in the world that use forums like this to gain "trust" amongst members and will then take advantage of that to try and hack access to personal details.

I would like to think that, in this instance one of the ever vigilant Mods has spotted an IP address that has been the root of this kind of activity in the past?

(refer to Chainstretchers announcement at the top of the page re Trolls and Emails)

There; I had my serious face on there; was it convincing?

Last edited by kiwi TK; 07-15-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Banned

Well in that case good job. Not being the type of person that would ever consider doing such a thing, much less know how to do it its hard to believe it would happen here but I spose anything is possible these days.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:38 AM

Totally agree Bordo, no idea or desire to know how to do **** like that.

But when you look at the numbers (+57 000 members); you only need a 1% mug rate to give yourself a fine old time.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There; I had my serious face on there; was it convincing?

Damn ! TK didn't tell a funny. OMG !
To be honest I have no knowledge as to why he was booted (It wasn't me) so one of the "ever vigilant Mods" must have seen something that sent him to the land of Limbo........

Originally Posted by Bordo
Well in that case good job. Not being the type of person that would ever consider doing such a thing, much less know how to do it its hard to believe it would happen here but I spose anything is possible these days.
Just for info I had a member get my IP address and send out foul messages to members of two M/cycle clubs with my name on them, and send mail to other people all over the world. It caused me no end of explaining (and a helluva lot of drinks) and a change of IP supplier etc etc.
THIS IS WHY WE ARE VIGILANT.
The message from Chain was because of what happened to me and prevent it from happening to others.

And yes in my 2 x daily checking of all new registrations there are at least 5 EVERY DAY that don't even make it this far - ask yourself why someone from Communist China would want to be a member here, or from North Korea, or that small island group the Philipines WHERE 1% of ALL the WORLD'S SPAM ORIGINATES.
Sometimes one will get through and attempt to gain access for devious purposes - we would I think rather sort them out early before they do any damage to this fairly unique place and not cause personal damage to our regular members.
Thanks for the support guys.
Makes the effort worthwhile.

Quick Reply: 88 hurricane carb stuff