CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

88 Hurricane Annual Maintenance Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 88 Hurricane Annual Maintenance Help

Maybe our riding styles are a bit different, ab65 - I have a freeway within 1/2 mile of my house, and I'm inclined to wind the bike up hard from the outset - once the oil's warm, never a problem, only when it's cold - sorry, should have clarified this.

+1 on the bike related or specific oil, friction modifiers in car oils are no good in M/Cycles ( unless you have a Hardly Dangerous) - but they don't count....he he

My apologies for any confusion...........[X(] and welcome to the Forum.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not forget also to replace the brake fluid and check on the pads they may have gone already.

V's,
Luis

Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Just do a little here and there and keep up on the maintenance so you dont get behind. There are a hundred pages of oil debates on this forum that go on all day. Just use your head....good oil - change regular. Enjoy you rides, you'll be a pro at whipping off those lovely farings in no time.....trust me!

Welcome to the best forum on the freakin planant PatricksBBQ. BTW, where are you from? and whats the story behind your handle?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:10 AM

I agree about oil threads opinions are like ******** everyone has one!! Re synthetics ie Hot or cold No Problems will not bore you with Technical details and tedium as a Petro- Chemical engineer of 22yrs Bike Specific Oils (Syn) wont cause Cluth Slip regardless of riding styles and yes I do design work and QA evaluationon them.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:37 AM

I've had the exact same experience as Shadow1 with my three Hurricanes: when the oil is cold the clutch slips.
ORIGINAL: ab65
I agree about oil threads opinions are like ******** everyone has one!!
I agree with that too! (No harm meant.)

So I have at least two opinions, in this thread alone

Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 AM

Hi,
OK as an oil expert, any ideas on this. Gotta help a mate at the weekend with his Yam Divvy 600. It is exhibiting a prob where the oil light is on whilst oil is cold, and off when oil gets hotter! The complete opposite of what I expected! I intend to change oil and filter this weekend, and maybe have a look at the oil light switch. Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Ara

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM

If it's a pressure-type switch....................maybe some muck in the switch.......?
Mine is on at start, and off when pressure arrives........

Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Perhaps ab65 could enlighten us, given all his experience, as to why the clutch will slip when cold, and it doesn't happen with mineral oil, just semi-synthetic ? Maybe a design flaw........hehe
It's a serious question - explain please.........

Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 PM

Gill,

The story behind my handle is that I own a catering / festival business called... You gussed it... Patrick's BBQ.

Now the real story is that my name is not Patrick. Its just Pat. The reason It's called Patricks BBQ is due to the fact that my grandmother raised me and saw me through all kinds of bad stuff. She calld me Patrick, she thought that it was really my name. Agter I turned 18 I shouwed her my birth certificate and sure enough Im just Pat not Patrick. Well she didt care and I was always Patrick to her. She passed away in 04. I named the business Patrick's BBBQ in memory of her. She alo taught me to cook.

As for the bike. I'll be changing the oil, radiator fluid and maybe the chain. Before that Im gonna get new tires. I was out and about and put a little over 100 miles on it today and I got a really bad wobbls out of the front end from what I think is either an out of balance tire or a bad tire. Either way Im changing the tires and the barrings as soon as I can.

For the past for years or so I have lived in Dayton, Ohio.

So, is it difficult to remove thetires?

I am gonna pull the rims off this weekend so I can get new skins put onnext week. I have NEVER pulled a tire off of a bike before.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Front tire easy......
Back tire requires a little more time.
Dont let anyone neer the break levers during this process; or it will take a little more time.
Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place. The only problem is there is already so much info on this site. I rarely talk, as you can find ANY answer with the search feature.

NBook helps alot, too.

Shadow, my book is at a cycle mechanics shop at this moment..... Does the vibration go away as you turn the balancer more to the right or left....or in the metric, clockwise or counter clockwise. ;-)

Quick Reply: 88 Hurricane Annual Maintenance Help