CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Pulse Secondary Air Inj. Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulse Secondary Air Inj. Control Valve

Can anyone shed any light on the purpose of the Injection Control Valve? Is is similar to a EGR valve on a car? Is there any maintenance needed to these little guys?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Default RE: Pulse Secondary Air Inj. Control Valve

I think the EGR valve on cars returns some exhaust gas to the intake. On motorcycles the Pulse Air function usually means some fresh air is mixed into the exhaust gas to improve emission readings, more or less a fake so to say. I'm not sure about how it works on the 'Cane, but it is like this on later bikes.

The fresh air that is added to the exhaust gas will give an error in A/F readings when the bike is dynoed, therefore it is removed by many, at least during the dyno tuning. The so-called PAIR valve is often controlled by vacuum from the intake. The applications that I know about does not need any maintenance, like the EGR will since that is located in the exhaust stream and could jam after some time.

Sorry not being able to be more specific for the 'Cane, others can probably help a lot better.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The little black box had a filter in it, which was binned with all the other ECR c..p when my bike was a lot younger, and wouldn't do more than 130 flat out..........I don't know what its purpose was, seems to just be a pressure vent for the carbs, but never dumps any fluid...no valve inside that I could see - or maybe I'm not reading the diagram correctly ?

Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 PM

Maybe its a positive crankcase ventilation filter. Oh well,

Okay, I have my valve cover off to adjust the valves, how the heck do you get at the valves at the front of the head to make the adjustment? they are hard to get at, any special tricks to doing them or just bang away......?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

R1000 is right. It allows fresh air into the exhaust gases to help aid in the burning of residual hydrocarbons. It converts them into water vapor and carbon dioxide. Great for the global warming thing.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM

There are a few tricks. There is the Honda tool (never seen it). Then there's the way I did it. I think there is a very good write-up some where on this site. You use a deep socket (10mm) a screwdriver, and vice grips. The front is a pain though. I used my old seat hinge bolt filed to fit to hold the guide screws. It is shorter and you can use a wrench to keep it still as you tighten the locknut. I liked it because it was easier to see movement. I hope at least some of this long winded answer helped a little.

Good luck, and DON'T FORGET THE TORQUE WRENCH!!!!

Patrick

Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 PM

Aha, light dawns - thanks Idodirt and Gill, perhaps this would explain why my pipes don't run grey, except at high speed.........full of dark hydrocarbons, even after tuning, carb balancing etc. Very annoying.......Thanks also, Motley, for the "How to"

Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

If you're interested, the tool is available from BikeBandit. This is the part number 07GMAML70120.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, the Pulse Secondary Air Injection is only on the California models. Gee Shadow1, isn't that what you've got...

Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 PM

Yup, and while I'm all for emission controls where they make a difference, I don't see the point in stifling a bike's performance to the degree that was done to the California model. It knocks off around 27 HP !! Thanks for the part number Idodirt, think I'll investigate that......

Quick Reply: Pulse Secondary Air Inj. Control Valve