CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

87 Hurricane 1000F

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Hurricane 1000F

Alright I have an 87 Hurricane 1000F with 36k~ miles. Obvious because I'm posting in this section huh?
Well, I have a few questions that I have been wanting to ask for months but I haven't been able to post a while back.

1) Where do I get the "new" CCT? (cost?)

2) What else will I need besides a CCT to fix the rattle at startup. (Where to get, cost?)

3) How hard is it to change these components?
I'm a little worried about doing engine work like this to the bike because of how high the rpm's get, I don't want to even think what would happen if something went wrong and my engine decides to break a chain, or possibly become too retarded in timing and have a piston smack a valve. :S.
I'm a bit experienced with gas car engines, I'm just not sure if there is anything special to consider when working on bikes. Cars redline at quite a bit lower than these bike engines, and I would hate for a minor error to trip off something very bad and kill me while ridin. (I'm a speed demon).

4) What is the deal with the rear fender conversion?
I kind of disliked the way the tail light has looked on this bike, that's my only complaint, just was wondering what I would need in order to do this conversion and how stable it is.

5) Rear/Front tires. What is recommended?
I was looking into "Metzeler Sportec M3 Supersport" tires. I've seen that people have recommended 180 for the back, but what about the front?

6) Minimal disk rotor thickness? (Anyone know for front/back)

7) What type of pads do you guys recommend with the best stopping power and minimal brake dust.

8) Recommended motor oil?
I am a fan of synthetic, but being an older bike I don't know if lifter noise will be an issue. Also due to the fact that the trans and engine are....using the same oil? (is that correct?) What is it am I supposed to use?

9) Where can I get an oil filter from for this bike? (Any recommendations?)

10) Anyone know where to get replacement body parts for this bike?
I have a few broken plastic tabs that push into those rubber bushings. I don't know if there are some special types of screws or something I could use instead by drilling a hole through or something, but if not I guess I need new plastics.
I also need the plastic pieces that go around the speedo.
A new windshield (Whoever owned it before painted it flat black....and like...black cemeted it?)

11) While driving a while on the expressway at a crusing speed of (80mph), sometimes my bike will just die randomly. Takes approximately 10seconds before I can start it up and it works perfectly fine. Any clues?

12) I took the gas tank out once, and noticed that the gas valve leaks a small amount of fuel out even when in the "off" position. Is that wasting gas when it is shut off and parked in my garage?

13) I also need a new seat. Mine is torn up for being so old. Anyone know where to get this?

14) My front left shock seems to be leaking, I first thought it was brake fluid, but after washing it down, and checking out from where the oil is originating from, it seems to be grease/fluid from the shock. Is it a cheap repair? Where to get this replacement part? How hard is it to change it?

I got the bike as a graduation present out of high school, but the owner before my step-father dropped the bike a few times, and had some idiot obviously work on it by spray painting that windscreen completely opaque black, and peices are cracked. My rear left fender is being held on by seethrough tape to the far back plastic part that the brakelight is apart of. Those little black plastic spikes or w/e u call them broke off, and the rubber bushings are still on the other part, so without the tape it would just fall off, I'm wondering if I could use some type of lock screw or something in replace of that by drilling a hole through the fender in the position of those broken tabs.

Thanks for the replies guys, it is much appreciated. I just want to take proper care of this bike, because it rides great and fast. I need your help though!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 87 Hurricane 1000F

Welcome Ryan – you’ll find many people here willing to help you. Firstly though help yourself and learn more about your new prise by downloading the Workshop Manual. ‘SHADOW1â€, a member here who is always willing to help, posted this before…..

Download a manual for yourself at> http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Honda_CBR1000F_Service_Manual.pdf> OR http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/images/Honda_CBR1000F_Service_Manual.pdf Also at http://cid-fd1db3fa41cb79a5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/CBR1000F cbr1000f manual; Honda common service maunal; & Bike book (Twist of the Wrist)

Re you questions – here is a start…
Firstly recognize that members here are from all parts of the world and what might be the right solution (cheapest / appropriate part in one area might not be the best/cheapest for you.)

5) Rear/Front tires. What is recommended?
I was looking into "Metzeler Sportec M3 Supersport" tires. I've seen that people have recommended 180 for the back, but what about the front?

Stick to Honda’s recommended sizes and the big brands that you can get for the best price near you. Don’t go for “BIG†tyres just because they look good – they will affect your handling.

6) Minimal disk rotor thickness? (Anyone know for front/back)

See Manual pages 21-10.

8) Recommended motor oil?
I am a fan of synthetic, but being an older bike I don't know if lifter noise will be an issue. Also due to the fact that the trans and engine are....using the same oil? (is that correct?) What is it am I supposed to use?

Stick with any big brands that you can buy cheap locally – replace regularly as per manual – this is more important than brand. See Manual pages 21-4 for oil specs. Never use additives.

9) Where can I get an oil filter from for this bike? (Any recommendations?)

Buy cheaper car equivalent. Change regularly.

Read this if interested on why…..

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Recommended filters.
All have superior filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.

Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.
[/ul]

About 3.25 inches long.

Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.

Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.

WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion
[/ul]

Old 08-16-2008, 03:41 AM

1) Where do I get the "new" CCT? (cost?)

2) What else will I need besides a CCT to fix the rattle at startup. (Where to get, cost?)

Start by read here ..

https://cbrforum.com/m_611151/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_21307/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_454917/tm.htm

Have fun . and welcome......................

Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 AM

5) Rear/Front tires. What is recommended? I was looking into "Metzeler Sportec M3 Supersport" tires. I've seen that people have recommended 180 for the back, but what about the front?

FYI - My useage...

Tyres

Front

Dunlop Sportmax 120/70 ZR17

Dunlop Sportmax 120/70 ZR17

Michelin Macadam 90 120/70 ZR17

Michelin Macadam 100 120/70 ZR17

Michelin Pilot Road 2 120/70 ZR17

Rear

Dunlop Sportmax 170/60 ZR17

Michelin Macadam 90 170/60 ZR17

Michelin Macadam 90 170/60 ZR17

Metzeler Z4 170/60 ZR17

For more details See RE: So, when did YOUR CCT start to go? - 8/10/2008 3:37:28 PM

https://cbrforum.com/m_607200/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 AM

As to the CCT, the consensus around here at least used to be, I believe, that the rattle was not a problem as long as the rattle went away once the bike warms up. It's when the rattle doesn't go away that you have problems. My 95's CCT has been rattling when cold since I bought it- over twenty thousand miles ago- with no problems.
As to the bike dying at freeway speeds- that's not good. I'd look for a pinched or clogged vacuum tube coming off the petcock, I think.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:18 AM

a 87 tyres 110/80/17 front 140/80/17 rear. engine noise do the chain first. front disks 3.5 mm.when i have more time i will post more.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 AM

I just replaced my CCT and CC last night. A little stressfull I might add trying to peen the master link properly without making the link too tight. I wish I had a way to practice this before going into Cane surgery under pressure! Well the CC rattle is gone at around 3000rpm and at startup. However, the other chains, probably the alternator or oil pump chains must be noisy too as I still can hear them at idle. The old chain was pretty stretched but didnt look all that bad really. After getting the cam shaft all put back together I noticed my crankshaft mark had moved off one tooth and had to tear it all apart a second time. No cursing there!! I did take it for a good 30 minute ride and everything seems "tighter" now. AS long as my master link holds togehter, things will be alright...hehe

BTW, these engines are designed much different than a car, so they are designed to run at higher RPM's

Old 08-17-2008, 03:06 PM

I ride on michelin road pilot 2 160-60 rear and road pilot 2 120-70 ft on my 87 Cain. Love these tires. Handle well in rain and on the Dragon. What more could you ask from a tire. Great wear also. With 27000 miles i now use mobile1 syn motorcycle oil and a honda oil filter.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 PM

Hi Jeff. Did the CC replacement instructions I sent you prove helpful? Did you happen to take any pics as you did your work? If so, I'd like to add them to the text and post up the "how to". Glad to hear you got it running again. I experienced the same noise (hearing the other chain(s)) after replacing the CC, but I'm not ready to do any more surgery right now.