CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

87 CBR1000F - Voltage Regulator issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 CBR1000F - Voltage Regulator issue

So I removed my VR and tested it with my DMM as it told me to in the service manual and I got messed up readings. When I did the procedure again but just swapped the polarity my numbers were pretty much within spec, BUT they were in Mohms, where as the manual says they should be in Kohms.
The whole reason I suspect it to be the VR is because when I started my bike yesterday, the red/white and green wires were so hot that they were burning the insulation! After I disconnected the VR it was fine, but obviously it wasnt charging my battery after that.
When it was connected, my battery was still being charged, just those two wires were smoking.

I included a couple pictures, 2 out of the manual, and one of my readings.

My connector isnt the same look or orientation as the one in the manual, but I still do have all of the wires mentioned. Instead my connector has 6 terminal slots, but 5 terminals in it (3 yellow, 1 black, 1 white). I also have another connector coming out of my VR it has 2 terminals (red/white, green), then I have another lonesome wire that plugs into another lonesome wire which is black.

Does anyone think I got the wrong book for my bike? or maybe the manual is wrong? or maybe my VR is infact trashed.
Thanks for any help!

The book page:
http://rfiles.com/files/VR.png

My readings:
http://rfiles.com/files/Readings.png

Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what you've described, your VR is trashed.
It may be charging the battery, but not much over 12 volts I would guess.
Look up previous posts on this - plenty to read..................The early Hurricanes had a VR which had two plugs - maybe you're using the wrong wiring diagram ?
Why did you decide to test the unit ?
If you ride it like that, chances are you'll cook the battery or even the stator/generator/alternator.....

Last edited by Shadow; 06-23-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
From what you've described, your VR is trashed.
It may be charging the battery, but not much over 12 volts I would guess.
Look up previous posts on this - plenty to read..................The early Hurricanes had a VR which had two plugs - maybe you're using the wrong wiring diagram ?
Why did you decide to test the unit ?
If you ride it like that, chances are you'll cook the battery or even the stator/generator/alternator.....
I decided to test it because the red/white(+) wire and the green wire(-) which are their own connector coming off of the VR were smoking, and were super hot to touch. When I disconnected only that connector, the smoking(coming off those two wires) went away, and the wires became cool over a short period of time.
The service manual I got for the bike is right about everything else just this section seems pretty weird.
I'll look to see if there are any other posts. Any more info would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Just read the first 5 pages...............................
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...or%2Frectifier

Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 AM

jw, has anyone else ever done this before? Just, the readings seem through the roof
This is what my VR looks exactly like, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200351292374

I ordered that one because it was cheap, so hopefully the VR is my issue, I will check my stator before I install this new VR, and let everyone know the results.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Looks like the right one for your bike- the later model was different, only has one plug.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM

I got the used vr off ebay and still have the same problem. The red/white & green wire connector gets really hot, and the three yellow stator wires get really hot as well. The manual I have is for a 92, I was wondering if anyone has the pdf for an 87, because I need the actual wiring diagram so I can properly diagnose this. The motorcycle shop by me needs to special order them, so not only are the manuals $80 each, but in order to get them, there needs to be atleast 3 people that want it at the same time.

It's unlikely that I purchased a faulty VR you'd think, but then again...who knows...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 PM

workshop manuals:
http://blackbears.ru/index_en.php?get=manual
http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf
the right one

One of these will help, if not I'll download the wiring diagrams.
If all the wires are really hot I suspect the stator/alternator wiring has cooked.
You will need to look at the long thread I pointed you to and look for posts towards the end by CBRNevada..................he talks about using a megger to check the stator coils.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-03-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:45 PM

I would not recommend the last link you provided as that is the one I printed out and made a book out of, but then realized that it does not have the wiring diagrams in it, nor does it apply to the older hurricanes. DOH!!!!
The print of issue is 92', so I would only suggest that book for maybe 91+...?

The first two links are the same manual, but the second link gives it in a PDF form, the first one gives it in image form. Which I suspect they are both the same source, because on page 94 of the PDF, or image 94 in the zip, there are certain wires you cannot see clearly to where they go, so that makes diagnostics virtually impossible.

I suspected the alternator was bad as well, but it is not shorted to ground on any of the three wires. I'll check to see if there is another test procedure.

Last edited by RyanEricW; 07-03-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Just to re-cap my issue, with my VR plugged in, the red/white & green wires get burning hot while the bike is running. The 3 yellow wires coming off of the stator going to the VR get (warm).
Currently I'm re-tracing the entire wiring diagram for the 1000-h model bikes and putting it in color because the one that was scanned is horrible and very hard to see.
I may need someone's help later once I post the picture to see if some wires are spliced or not.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by RyanEricW; 07-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 CBR1000F - Voltage Regulator issue