CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1993 CBR1000FL not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 CBR1000FL not starting

Hello, my bike (1993 CBR1000FL) has been parked up for a just over a year. I was starting it regularly, no problems, would kick over first time every time, while it was off the road.

A few months I had to use the battery in another bike, so it didn't get started as often as it was used to.

Anyway, I got a new battery, chucked it in, and...now the bike won't start. It drained the battery.

So, where should I start?
The bike is cranking, the fuel is pumping > How do I check for spark? (normally I'd just hold a lead over the engine case, but the plug covers are really long....) I have a multimeter, but I'm a noob with it.

All the plugs are good.
The R/R is practically new.
The relay is good...wait a minute?...(I wonder if I put the fuse back in...?) I'll be back...

Old 03-07-2009, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by stuconz
The relay is good...wait a minute?...(I wonder if I put the fuse back in...?) I'll be back...
Nope, that's all fine. The fuse was in...

Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an idea but if you still have the old battery , try charging it and start the bike on the old battery . If it starts then its a fault with the new battery.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rodents ate the kill switch wiring, or got into the air filter ?

Old 03-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Lift the tank and pull one of the plugs, then reconnect the plug wire and crank it over. If you see spark, the problem might be somewhere else. Number 4 plug is the easiest for this as it's on the same side as the ignintion switch. At the same tiem have a look and see if the plug is wet. Do all this right after cranking it over a few times.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Rodents ate the kill switch wiring, or got into the air filter ?
You know the funny thing about this? It took me half a day a couple of months ago to chase a rat out of the room where the bike was being stored. It had pretty much eaten away the curtain liners on one of the windows...anyway, the airbox was open...I wonder...?? It was a pretty big rat (Well, it gave me the jeebies, and normally i'm not afeared of anything with four legs or more)

I checked the kill switch in that the bike turns over when off, and nothing when on.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000
Lift the tank and pull one of the plugs, then reconnect the plug wire and crank it over. If you see spark, the problem might be somewhere else. Number 4 plug is the easiest for this as it's on the same side as the ignintion switch. At the same tiem have a look and see if the plug is wet. Do all this right after cranking it over a few times.
Doh! of course. The things you forget. Ok, no spark on any cylinder, all plugs dry. Will trace back from the ignition coils to see where I've made a misconnection or failed a ground somewhere

Old 03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If no spark, perhaps the CDI unit ?
I hope not...............
Probably just "ratty" wiring......he he

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Well, wiring is looking nice and tight...apart from the fact that both the front and rear brake switches are missing...would this case a break in the circuit?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM

No voltage at the plugs at all or just no visible spark? You can try a volt meter OR....... stick you finger in it and crank it over. I tried this years ago and there WAS a spark..... and had a "slightly" numb outcome!

Quick Reply: 1993 CBR1000FL not starting