CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1993 CBR1000F Headlight Conversion H4

Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 CBR1000F Headlight Conversion H4

I have such a long title cause I couldn't find anything definitive when searching

Anyway.... I wanted some brighter headlights for the bike and of course the standard H4 Sylvania's you buy at pepboys don't fit. The 2 tabs on the bottom are too close together. In addition, the depth of the plate that the bulb is attatched to is too shallow, along with the "nipple" spacing being different on the bottom.

Solution: Cut off the bottom skinny tabs, and somehow get ride of the little "nipples" at the bottom as well. Then get some wire coat hanger and start to bend it around the base plate of the bulb, where the groove is. This is meant to serve as the spacer to make up for lost room. It's kind of a hack but considering it's practially free and takes about 30min I sugest it.

I *THINK* I saw some kind of adapter plate floating around that someone machined out of metal. If someone has the link please post it.

In addition the "Sylvania Silverstar" are MUCH brighter, due to increased wattage and a higher color temp.

PS: I noticed there isn't much of a sticky for doing basic mods... perhaps we could. Cause I was about to take pictures of the entire thing and post a howto. I saw the "900 & Up howto" subforum... but that was about the last place I would check cause well.... I have a cbr1kf so I figured that all information would be in this subforum...

At any rate great mod!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Default RE: 1993 CBR1000F Headlight Conversion H4

Yeah a 1KF how to section would be great! I agree the current 900 and up mods just isn't the right place for F particular documentation.
I wonder if a member has some web space they would be willing to host some how-to's on? I have a server here at home, but it would be slow for any type of serious hits against it. I've got a couple of farkles that I've posted here, but they are so buried now that you need a back hoe to find them.
CBR1000F.net is an available domain name

Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 AM

If someone buys the domain I'll host the content. I have some fast webservice.

I just wouldn't want to buy the domain because in *CASE* something happens and I don't have a 1KF anymore ... I'm not responsbile for the domain, just the content, which I can send to whoever would take it over.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:24 AM

What ypu need is a free web host like this one http://www.portland.co.uk/
the domain would end in .port5.com

for instance:

cbr1000f.port5.com

Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Here's your adapter plate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-Bu...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1990 FL. I read a review praising Halfords +50 bulbs so I bought a pair. Going in through the 'maintenance lid' under the headlamp I managed to remove the old bulbs and fit the new ones. They are H4 but I didn't need to do any mods, cut off any tabs or whatever. However I noticed that both bulbs sit at a slight angle (of rotation). Everything looks OK, and the light looks cleaner and brighter. Am I doing something wrong or does the FL take normal H4s?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Mike: I used the converter ring on Silverstars for my 93. What a difference!!! I think it was 12 including SH. I thought it was worth it since I just got my new HIDs and am getting ready to install them. These were 177.00 incl SH and are Hi Lo's. Cant wait to install and fire them up. With this mod, I will not have a single incandescent bulb left. HID and LEDS only. Even the gauges are overlays/backlit EL from Streetracerparts.com.

Captain: I've read some of your farkle installs. Very nice write ups. I am also in support of a 1KF only mods link.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:51 PM

I'm confused with the whole H4 thing for the simple reason that the headlamp lens has H4 stamped right on the front! Yet, as you all know, the tabs on the H4's are too close together.
Me, I just cut the taps off and stuck them in. I did by the adapter rings on ebay but, once I got around to getting the bulbs, the rings got lost! Oh well, my lights work fine for me. They are a bit angled down though which helps me not get flashed for having my hi-beams on all the time (haven't been flashed ONCE, night or day).

ORIGINAL: chitownart

Mike: I used the converter ring on Silverstars for my 93. What a difference!!! I think it was 12 including SH. I thought it was worth it since I just got my new HIDs and am getting ready to install them. These were 177.00 incl SH and are Hi Lo's. Cant wait to install and fire them up. With this mod, I will not have a single incandescent bulb left. HID and LEDS only. Even the gauges are overlays/backlit EL from Streetracerparts.com.

Captain: I've read some of your farkle installs. Very nice write ups. I am also in support of a 1KF only mods link.

Post up some pics once you get those HIDs in! Also, got a link to what you're getting?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 AM

I tried something like that last year with halogen bulbs, ignoring the stock output specifications. 4 weeks into the conversion my wiring harness got fried.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 AM

Some markets came out with normal H4's, but most came out with H4 Honda.

Next time I pull the bike apart I am looking into modifiying the Headlight itself to accept normal globes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 CBR1000F Headlight Conversion H4