CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1991 California model. Whats so special about it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 California model. Whats so special about it?

Hi.
I just found out yesterday that my beloved CBR1000F '91 is a California model ( I did not even know there was shutch a thing.). And this sucks because i have a V&H exhaust system, and jet kit on the way from the states. Now i wonder, will these fit on my california model?

I have searched the forum but could not find any threads about the '91 california model.

What i have found out from other threds, about other bikes, this is difrent on the california model:
-Carbs
-Cylinder head
-Camshafts

I don't know what's so special about it, could someone explane?
Does the california model have less power?
Does it run diffrently?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Default RE: 1991 California model. Whats so special about it?

Also if anyone could list the advantages (if any) and disadvantages with the california model i would appreciate it!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

I had one of the dreaded Cali models, and they are a pain to tune compared to a regular model only
advantage is they pollute less.

They have a different head, carbs, cam, exhaust and timing, plus the air can.

Can be an major hassle to do anything to it, as carbs have more tubes and the head has exhaust ports the other
models dont have. You block off, with some alloy plates, you'll will have to fabricate above the exhaust header
pipes in the head, where there is tubes going into now. and you will have to plug off some carb tubes that
go into the air can when you remove it. As long as your bike is running good now and you follow the pipes and
hoses that go to the Cali emissions system and block it all off you will be okay. just check a parts fiche, and
compare the two and you can see the differences, I would keep all the stock Cali stuff, and put/stow it so when you
sell the bike, you can put it back to stock, and sell the perf stuff to someone else, as it can be hard to locate even
in the states to put back to Cali specs.

Just take your time, only remove the Smog/Cali stuff and you should be okay.
it just takes more time to get it done.

Good luck
Dub

Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Hi SuperBig, i have a californian import as well, see my first post or album.
Before i bought it, i posted this question on the forum of the dutch cbr club as well,
some very fine investigators in there, also checked at my mechanic.
Some parts of america used to sell a 100hp version, but the californian one is
told to have NO restriction (this was my major concern).
The carbs miss the thermal shield between carbs and cilinderheads, so if the engine
gets real hot, the gas in the carbs may vaporise after turning it off after a long ride in
the city for example (high temperatures, and slow riding, gets the engine really hot),
resulting in difficult starting afterwards (half an hour later or so), it needs to cool down first.
Now i have a wrecked '89 in my toolshed, and will try to work something out there.
This details was mentioned to me by my mechanic, as his brother has a kawa zzr1100
(californian imported) with the same feature.
If the carbs get heated, so is the gas inside, which results is an engine getting warm faster.
Which also results in a very warm air getting out of the fairing-openings under your thighs.
Very handy in the winter, but not at 35 degrees celcius and wearing leather pants.
Don't know if the heads and/or camshaft is different from other models, no-one over here
could tell me more.
Things that have been changed by one of the previous owners, are the Rino race
mufflers (drooling deep dark sound....), proper adjustment of the carbs, and it starts and runs very well,
except for the heating problem, this is something that has to be fixed before the summer arrives.
I must say it runs like hell !! Friends with standard 1000F's over here have trouble following me,
even on a straight line, so i don't think this setup has any disadvantages (excluding the heating problem
again).
Grtz, schuifelhoofd.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14525/B68CB5D918D84B0DAA8E56C7D8689D0B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 PM

Sounds like i wil have some challanges tuning it then... [:'(]

The bike does not run verry wel. It stutters around 4000rpm's and does not seem to run that evenly at idle (1000rpm's) I have changed the air filter and sparkplugs, but no change.

My plan was to mount the new exhaust system, dynojet kit, and a ignition advance rotor. And then tune the carbs.
Wil the jet kit fit in the cali. carbs? wil it work?
I'm not shure if i can use the ignition advance rotor i bought. It says +4 degrees, and shuld replace OEM#30291-MS2-610
Does anyone know if this is the same part number for the cali. model, of if it wil work?

schuifelhoofd: Ben jij nederlands?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:14 PM

Neeeeee SuperBigB, ik ben niet nederlands, maar ben van Belgie.

Hoezo?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 PM

Aaaaah.... Your signature just looked Dutch to me.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:32 PM

The language dutch and belgian are the same alleen de benamingen van de taal zijn anders.
Belgium and the netherlands are neighbours

Your dutch ain't that bad.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:34 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: schuifelhoofd

"Some parts of america used to sell a 100hp version, but the californian one is
told to have NO restriction (this was my major concern)."

This quote doesn't make sense to me. Anything sold in the U.S. as a California model is sold that way because California has MORE restrictive pollution standards than the rest of the country. Thus, if anything.it should lose power compared to the basic U.S. models so as to meet the more stringent requirements of California.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph

This quote doesn't make sense to me. Anything sold in the U.S. as a California model is sold that way because California has MORE restrictive pollution standards than the rest of the country. Thus, if anything.it should lose power compared to the basic U.S. models so as to meet the more stringent requirements of California.
I bought the 1000F the way it is now (technically), and i know one of the previous owners made some modifications to the exhaust and carb adjustment, i believe the needles are changed, but according to
my mechanic these are the only modifications he could notice at first site.
I posted some questions on the dutch technical cbr-forum, and some members told me the californian
examples have some restrictions and strange specs (i allready knew this),
but NO restriction to 100hp as some models have. Not my own info.....
I just know friends of mine with standard european 1000F's are having trouble following me at
the quarter mile (or any straight road).

Quick Reply: 1991 California model. Whats so special about it?