CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1990 CBR1000f Still not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bench sync the butterflies in each carb using a common drill bit to set each the same using the screws and locking the jam nuts. The air screw are on the side of the carbs between the head and the butterflies. I do not have any adjustable pilot air screws in the bowl of these carbs. The Idle screw i set at 1000 +/- 100. Think it still has crap in the carbs, but is coming around ....

Last edited by rvnkvn; 03-20-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting there! As for fuel lines, I just went to my local auto shop and bought a section the right internal diameter then cut my own to suit.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rvnkvn
The Idle screw i set at 1000 +/- 100.
Yep! One more thing....These bikes don't like any throttle opening when starting. They MUST be enriched (aka, choke), push the start button w/o throttle.

When I fire mine up and twist the throttle even the slightest bit, she will die...until she warms up some.

1000-1200rpm at idle is right there for starting up w/o throttle. You are good there.

You may be another victim of ethanol. Try a different fuel station and try some fresh gas from there.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 AM

3/27/12: Update. The bike starts now, checked and adjusted valves. The bike still has an intermittent "pop" every so often in the exhaust. Has a rough idle, but does hold about 1000 rpms. It kinda act like a vac leak, but it runs very well off idle and accelerates great when rolling back on the throttle. The rpms do hang up slightly when coming down back to 1000 rpm, but lust fo a second.
Today i TRIED to ride it in today, got down the interstate and the speedo acted real screwy, jumping from 70 to 10 all of a sudden and then it started dropping cylinders. It finally quit running. It acts and sounds electrical to me.

Anything I can test to narrow this down...this bike is driving me crazy!!

PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nylon speedo nut under the sprocket cover is "rung" out

Reckon you have a vacuum setting up in the fuel tank or line somewhere
sounds like fuel starvation ---- kinda what happens to me when I leave
the petcock in the off position sometimes lol

Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM

There is a vent tube under the tank that is loose, and slides on a nipple from the bottom of the tank. Is this normal for a 90 model 1000f? Is this broken also??? THANKS Sprock!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's only 3 lines

1Fuel to the Carbs
2Vacuum from the carbs to petcock - actuates a diaphragm to let fuel flow to the carbs
3Breather tube - lets tank breath and drains overfill down away from bike

Your issue maybe - carb vacuum line to petcock not opening diaphragm and thus no
fuel flow

Or blocked breather line / (internal gastank hard tube breather line) so as fuel is drawn
a vacuum sets up as the breather is blocked and the bike "withers" and dies

Run the bike down the highway with Gas Tank Cap open - if she stays running
Breather tube is problem - if not then possibly the vac line to petcock not
getting vacuum

my 2 cents

That pop you said you heard is indicative of fuel starvation - so it's gotta be one
or even both possibly ! (what are the odds of that) the issues I mentioned !

Meh sometimes it can be more than one thing !

Last edited by Sprock; 03-27-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM

I replaced the vac line from carb to petcock. I even drained the old gas out of the tank applied slight suction on the port and the fuel runs out of the valve. Is there a way to check the vent tube in the tank? Mine has a loose fiting hose on the bottom of the tank. I do remember a hissing noise after shutting the bike off.

I tried to locate that gear drive for the speedo on Service Honda's site but had no luck finding it....Sorry for so many questions, just wanna ride and not push the bike home anymore...Kev

Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by rvnkvn
...I do remember a hissing noise after shutting the bike off...
Check the nipples. The four nipples that are used for synchronizing the carbs, that is. See that each one has a rubber cap. If one or all are missing it is a major vacuum leak. Also check the vacuum line to the petcock for cracks and leaks. It attaches to the outside bottom of Number one carb.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 AM

These are all present and in good shape.Replace the vac line from tank petcock to the carb with a new one. How do you check the gas cap for venting properly??

Also.. Anyone have a partnumber from Honda for the speedo drive gear to fix that problem??? THANKS!!

Quick Reply: 1990 CBR1000f Still not starting...