CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

No spark for over a year

Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No spark for over a year

Here we go again I gave up on my 1988 cbr1000f with a 94 motor because i could not get a spark here is how it started. I got the bike working good went out for a ride and when i stop to talk to a friend i turned it off. After about 5 min tried to start it nothing would not fire. Turned over fine no fire. After a few min of trying it started. I drove it home took the battery out "as it was off my other bike" the the next day i put the battery in try to start would not fire. Pulled the plugs no spark at all 4 plugs. So i tested it is getting power at the coil. I did some recent test on coils, PULSE GENERATOR, All was well so i got a new used wiring and cdi of a running bike from ebay switched it all noting. I do not have a DVA Meter Adapter to test that part of the Pulse generator. You think i should get one ? If the coils are good cdi good power to coil good 2 different wires harness. power at coil. Is the only think left to go bad the pulse generator Reason i have not swapped it is because it is a 80$ part mine is the one with the 2 pickups. Should i get a dva meter adapter of ebay to do the test ? Any ideas ? Dva meter is 35$ and if my pulse is bad thats another 80 plus shipping on it. I guess i am cheap i know.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a stupidly basic question, but have you checked out the kill switch? On the early 1000Fs you can still spin over the engine with the starter cos it just isolates the ignition so a fault in the switch would seem to give the result you seem to have.
Good luck
JK

Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi JK
I know this is a stupidly basic question, but have you checked out the kill switch? On the early 1000Fs you can still spin over the engine with the starter cos it just isolates the ignition so a fault in the switch would seem to give the result you seem to have.
Good luck
JK
Yes i did because when the kill switch is on it has 12+ volts at the coils and when you turn it off it loses that so it is working fine. Also that year does not have a kick stand switch i have had a few people tell me that one too.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another back to basics suggestion. A quick troubleshoot to see if it might be your nuetral switch or the clutch switch

Try bike in neutral, clutch in/clutch out. Try it in gear, Clutch in/clutch out.

Can the bike be bump-started?

Curious to know. A friend had an 80's Ninja. Wouldn't fire normally, but could be push-started every time. It was his clutch switch. It would even interrupt the spark when it was in neutral

Also, as had been noted here many times. Battery must at full charge to get the bike started

Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

94 motor uses a single pulser the 88 would have had two and the harnesses and CDI's
would need to match accordingly depending on what harnesses and CDI's you now have installed.

Summary you need a harness for a mk2 or mk 3 with CDI's for same.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
94 motor uses a single pulser the 88 would have had two and the harnesses and CDI's
would need to match accordingly depending on what harnesses and CDI's you now have installed.

Summary you need a harness for a mk2 or mk 3 with CDI's for same.
Mine is using the 94 motor with the 88 charging system and wires and cdi. It has the 2 pulse pick ups and 4 wires the yellow and and yellow and white wires tested was 490k but the what do the other 2 wires "blue" that come from the pulse pick ups they are testing 70.3 across those 2 wires. Any ideas ?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 PM

I think both PULSE GENERATOR pick up should be the same so that may be my problem what you think ?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all the right power is going into you're coils but nothing is coming out at the plug then couldn't it be the coils?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be but now I'm wondering how a dual pulser was mounted to a 94 - but hey
everything is possible if determined enough.

I think the issue is in your pulser CDI setup somehow

Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Might be but now I'm wondering how a dual pulser was mounted to a 94 - but hey
everything is possible if determined enough.

I think the issue is in your pulser CDI setup somehow
Got a new pulse on the way i will let you know if it works and i will take a pic of my set up should be here Wednesday, Tuesday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No spark for over a year