CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000 opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 opinions?

Hi all. I am new to this forum, hello to everyone!

I did have a question that I'm sure everyone has an opinion on. I had a CBR 600 (2005) for a few months after owning a ninja 250 for 8 months. I'm a very responsible rider (I'm the one who follows the speed limit while everyone else screams past me), I've never done any stunting or anything stupid. I don't even take my bikes on the Interstate. So anyway, after I sold my 600, I was given an 87 CBR1000 hurricane as a birthday present. Will the 1000 still be too much for me or should I be okay if I take it nice and slow?

I think that I'll be okay, but I am a little nervous because I've never ridden one before.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Default RE: 1000 opinions?

Its not the size of the bike that causes a problem its the attitude of the rider.

Where you may need to get used to things is the extra size and weight of the 1000 will mean its harder to lean it over especially at high speed (which may mean you run wide) and that it doesn't slow down as quick as a 600 so you may get a fright coming into a corner.

But as long as you use common sense and realise that it will build up speed quicker than it feels you will be fine. My 1st bike was an ex racing RD400 and I managed to live.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 AM

I always make sure to take time to get to know the bike. It's just a little intimidating because I hear everyone talk about it's amazing power. I guess the initial 'test drive' will have to be in a fairly unpopulated area. I have a friend who lives out in the boonies with a lot of clear, straight roads. I'll have to take it out there before I go up in the mountains or anything.

Thanks for your input, Trips!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:39 AM

citizen,

Welcome to the forum. I have been riding over 25 years. Just like Trip says, even 50cc mini-bike, you can do something stupid. Reasons for riding big bike are different for each individual. For me, bigger bike has more power (doesn't mean I am enjoying to beat up my co-worker's sports car), and it is the next step after riding 750cc long time. Also, bigger motor will last longer (i hope)... Hey you got same as mine. Which part in US do you live?

Yas

Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 AM

I live in Southern Colorado, Yas.

Thx for your input!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:34 AM

Hi Citizen, I was in your boat about a month ago when I just got my '90 CBR1000F. I used to ride an old GT750 which was good bike in it's time... I was very intimidated by the big 1000cc behometh, first couple rides were extremely nerve wracking. For me it was not only the power/weight configuration but also a completely different riding position to get used to, you should be ok with that considering you're used to a CBR600.

I've noticed with mine, if you're gentle on the throttle and keep it under 3k rpm then it's quite tame but wind the throttle on too hard over 3krpm then I hope you were holding on! even below 5krpm with half stick I can feel the front wheel getting light!!

I also noticed that with a bigger capacity motor that the compression can be interesting specially trying to go around a tight corner intersection and not using a clutch, very easy to get a bunny hop happening! I've had to learn to play the clutch a bit in corners to get a smoother ride.

Make sure the tyres are ok... the tyres on my CBR were squared off and it made for an extremely uncomfortable first week of riding, being a heavy bike it exagerated the feeling... basically as it went into a corner the bike would want to tip off of the flat of the tyre onto the side which in turn felt like the bike wanted to tuck deeper into the corners... really scary on a new bike!! I ended up getting a new set of Dunlop D220's fitted a week after I brought it, much much better handling. Just make sure your tyre pressures are ok and be weary if the tyres are flat in the centre.

I've been riding mine for about 4 weeks and i love it now!! Starting to get a lot of confidence on it and taking corners that bit faster instead of putting around them!! I won't ever try knee scraping tho.

Once you get over the initial couple rides and begin to relax you'll do fine.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Noe

I started my biking career 9 years ago on a CBR600F3, had itfor two years and were then without a bike for 4 years. Started up again 3 years ago on a old Honda CX500 from 81, Drove her for a year, and then bought the CBR1000F. Best thing I have ever done andI thinkshe's easy to drive.

Don't drive her aggressively, just let her flow with the road and she is an absolute pearl to drive. Thenrelease the monster on the freeway where she pulls like a freight train!!!

The old lady has a pretty decent tango, but sho doesn't quick step like the younger teens

Old 02-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What everyone else said. The 1000 is heavy enough that it is now thought of as more sport-touring than sport, but it still hits triple digits fairly quickly, and perhaps because of its weight and stability doesn't seem to be traveling as fast as it is. Use common sense with the throttle, give yourself time to acclimate to how it handles and you'll be fine. As said above squared off tires do make a difference. Mine were when I bought the bike. When I leaned in it would go over, over a bit more, just a little more . . . and then nearly fall on the ground. At least that's how it felt the first couple of times. New tires made a huge difference.

Welcome to the board. And the bike.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 PM

Michnet, she came with new tires, so I didn't have to worry about them being squared off or anything.

So I took her out for the first time. It was only for around 30 minutes, as it was only 40 degrees or so in my neck o' the woods. I gotta say that I found myself enjoying the power after a few straight shots on the back roads. But I could DEFINITELY feel the weight difference on theturnsand I'm not sure if I like it yet. Noe's right in saying that she doesn't do the quick step. I knew I never should've started out with the lighter bikes, but I was always told to start with a 250 or 500 bike, so I did. On the other side, I feel a little safer while riding (for some reason) knowing that I've got a heavier bike underneath me. I'm not sure why but it seems to provide me with a feeling of stability. It almost makes me want to try her out on the interstate. Hmmm...maybe I will.

Anyway, all your advice has been right-on so far. Thanks for taking the time to give me some confidence!

PS I'll get some pics up soon!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 AM

You should start on a small bike first.
Heavy bikes typically have a lower centre of gravity, thus they feel more stable on the road

Having different bikes is good, adds to life experience.
Some people may have only owned a 4-cylnder hatchback’s in their life, Others mixed it up and have had 4’s, 6’s and 8’s, utes, wagons, 4x4, sports etc.

My first bike was 50cc, my first real bike was a Honda CB200.

Quick Reply: 1000 opinions?