CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000 FJ Tyres + Suspension...confused!!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 FJ Tyres + Suspension...confused!!

Hi guys,
as some of you know there were some bits and bobs I wanted to get done on the CBR 1000FJ I recently purchased. With a tyre upgrade being one of them.

As I wanted to get back into doing bits on my bike myself, this weekend gone, I took all the farings off to get on with an oli +oil filter change and a coolant flush.....apart from the fact that I found numerous 'DIY' repairs on the farings ( which as Im particular about things makes me want to replace them all! ) I also checked the tyres.......this is where Im confused.

I've looked at other threads about tyre sizes on these FJ's and gather that you can get a max of a 120 on the front ( tho apparently 110 is recommended ) and a max of a 150 would fit on the rear...I found that mine had 120 on front and a 160 on the rear!!!

Is this unsafe??? And does it impact negativly on the handling or conering of the bike???? I cant tell myself...its been 4 years since I rode my last CBR and I have to say its seems ok when I ride it, conering is fine ( apart from when my Mrs is on the back and chits herself going around roundabouts )

On another note to I was thinking of playing with the suspension setting to see the difference........what is the difference between hard/soft suspension and what would you more experieneced guys recommended with the FJ???

Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seen a good few that way 120 and 160, some with 110 and 160 , one or two 110 & 150

It's no problem might turn a hair quicker with a 110 but I'd stay with the 120

My 2 cents

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you'll have no problem running 150/120. People run bigger than that, but at +1 like you are now, you're fine.

As far as removing the fairings, I think the manual says you have to remove plastic to do the oil changes, but you don't. Just FYI in case you didn't know. If you don't have an oil filter socket, you should get one. You can access the filter through the front wheel well with the socket and an extension, and just drop it out.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yep, you'll have no problem running 150/120. People run bigger than that, but at +1 like you are now, you're fine.

As far as removing the fairings, I think the manual says you have to remove plastic to do the oil changes, but you don't. Just FYI in case you didn't know. If you don't have an oil filter socket, you should get one. You can access the filter through the front wheel well with the socket and an extension, and just drop it out.

I'll know for future oil changes I didnt have an oil filter socket so had to ram a screwdriver in it to get it off....luckily the new K+N oil filter I put on has a wrench nut on it so I could just screw it on with a normal socket

As for the suspension..anyone got any advice???

Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator - Retired

Haha... I did the same thing to my oil filter on my jeep when I couldn't find my filter wrench. I used a screwdriver...

As far as suspension, it has been covered here several times. You can do a search on "suspension" in this section and you'll have plenty of reading. Also, download a factory service manual in the "how to" section if you don't have one.

Here is a pretty useful thread.... Rear Preload Adjustment

Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Thanks, I'll read up on it Just so many things to read up and learn about now Im back on a bike

Ive also booked the bike in for a K+N air filter, re-jetting and re-synching of the carbs....once this is done, I better research some recommended tyres to put on the bike.....then maybe a respray lol

Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM

It seems the OP is saying he has a 120 on the front (no problem, it's one size up) but he has a 160 on the rear (which is two sizes up).

I'm interested in an informed opinion about this as well as I have a 110 on the front and a 150 on the back. I'm planning on going to 120 front and 150 rear but it can be hard to find rubber for the rear at sizes less than 160. If 160 is okay on the rim, I would consider running it, which I think is the jist of the OP's question.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Administrator - Retired

Grif, good catch. I don't know why I thought he said he was running 150s.
I know most recommend no bigger than 150 on the rear on the early ones.

You have a 3.5" rear wheel, right??

People do run 160's on the older ones on 3.5" rims, I do know that.... BUT I don't know if I'd do it. Your best bet is probably just to buy a later model 90+ rear rim and fit what's easy to get (180 if you like).

Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Taoist , if your thinking of painting your early , bike you should TOTALLY check this thread out:-

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/my-old-lady-got-make-over-94388/

Rookiekc Did an amazing job and a fantastic colour scheme made the bike look realy up to date! It may inspire you

Just goes to show what can be done!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator - Retired

Rookie did do a great job on that one.
I'm not an "orange" kinda guy, but that looked really good.

Good call, Hawkman...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1000 FJ Tyres + Suspension...confused!!