Alternative Parts What fits where, what else will fit, resources + bike manuals

Chain- Chain ...........Chain !

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Chain- Chain ...........Chain !

Saw these X Ring 530 sealed chains out on Ebay !

look fairly good for the price ......

Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sprock ! This may be right on time for me. Price is definately better than I am getting from the shops and dealers.
My girl picked up a piece of metal and I am waiting for payday to replace a rear tyre thats not a year old. Figured since I had to pull the tyre, I would replace the chain and sprockets while I was at it. Now my questions are..
1.This comes with a "master link". That means I need a tool to lock the last link in? Anyone know what that tool is and ( I am good with my hands mechanically) is this straight forward to use? Dont want it to come loose
2.In opinion - is the 8200 pd tensile strength enough for these bikes? I have seen 10,000.
Then last, there is a sprocket that I want to put on by supersprox that has an aluminum center and steel sprockets. The reason I want it is because it has a gold center. There is a plate on the sprocket original that seems it would cover up the gold part. Does that go back on when replaced?? it would defeat the purpose of the gold sprocket as it would not be seen. www.supersproxusa.com
OK silly questions to the "masters" but the last time I replaced a chain was on my 67 Norton. I want to do this right.
Thanx,guys...let the ribbing begin....and waiting on payday is killing me.She sits there and calls me in my sleep.My Concours is running but it's not quite the same.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No ribbing, brother.
And remember, there's no such thing as silly questions, just silly people. (like sprock).

To rivet the masterlink, you will need a tool. THIS is the type I use. It's like the DID tool. There are other ones that are designed a little differently like the motion pro kit (and variants of it).

The plate on the outside of the stock sprocket can come off.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 08-28-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Kilgoretrout,Thanx man. I appreciate the info . A little late in the year for Mortorcycle maintenance, but this needs to be done. In Colorado even after the winter sets in, there's still riding days.
With this info I can do the maint and start my cosmectic changes to her at the same time. One more day till payday ! And I am off all week...

Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem.
One other thing... I keep thinking about that chain and wondering about the quality. I think I would be hesitant. I generally use the RK Gold X-Ring (XSO530). I know it's a great chain. It's about $50 more, but if it lasts longer (and you're using it with expensive supersprox), it may be worth getting it for peace of mind. It has a 9,500lb tensile strength so you know it's made with better steel.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Your words are good. Thanx again, I believe the stronger chain is the way to go.I'm not the "boy racer" anymore,but I do have my "moments of enthusiasm". I dont want to have to worry about a chain snapping...from 'saving " a couple bucks.