Alternative Parts What fits where, what else will fit, resources + bike manuals

CBR600F 1992 vs CBR1000F 1991 - Speedo Cable compatibility?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CBR600F 1992 vs CBR1000F 1991 - Speedo Cable compatibility?

Hi All!
So I have 1991 CBR1000F and I wanted to know if I could fit a dash from a 1992 CBR600F - does anyone on this forum know if the 600F and 1000F share the same speedo cable? I don't mean the actual dash fittings in the bike, I'm only interested to know if my speedo cable end will be able to fit into the back of the 600F dash.
I don't see why Honda would manufacture 2 different cables given only a year apart , but look, if anyone has any feedback, much appreciated!
I've attached 2 images for you to see - they sure look the same to me....
Thanks!
William

Attached Thumbnails CBR600F 1992 vs CBR1000F 1991 - Speedo Cable compatibility?-1000f-rear.jpg   CBR600F 1992 vs CBR1000F 1991 - Speedo Cable compatibility?-600f-back.jpg  
Old 11-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi William ,checked out parts list for 600 and 1000 doesn't look like they fit here's the parts assignment
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/mic...che1=reference
and
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/mic...che1=reference

Last edited by CaBaRet; 11-19-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 PM

CaBaRet: That was quick! Thanks for the info, I'm very grateful!
I've seen so many 1000F's with aftermarket mechanical dashes, I thought that perhaps Speedo cables would come in not more than say 2 or 3 shapes....but clearly not. The only hope I have....perhaps they state that it doesn't fit because one could be longer than the other one, you know, the 600F been shorter...I know that the best way to really find out is to go to my local bike wreckers with my speedo cable in hand and ask to see a 600F dash and then proceed to see if my cable will screw in the back of it....
Again, many thanks for the info!
William

Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi William, yes its a shame they don't give dimensions

Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

From the pictures it looks like it could be made to fit, but you won't know for sure until the part's in hand. For that matter, you could look at dashes from similar-era Honda nakeds, since as you say, those clever engineers won't want to make extra work for themselves by designing a whole bunch of competing systems. The cables will be different lengths, but there's a good chance that the cable ends will be common to several models. From the grainy fiche, I'd say the Shadow or CB1000's have similar cable ends, though doubtless of different lengths. Might be time to go scavving around the local boneyard

Does the bike need to pass inspection? I've got a little yamaha streetfighter and I was planning on sticky taping a cellphone mount and using the GPS for speedo. It's all fun and games til you get pulled over though, even with how slack it is up here

Aftermarket gauges are always an option, but that's a whole other can of worms. Might be worthwhile checking out what some other folks have done with their cbr nakeds

Happy hunting

Old 11-30-2017, 02:23 AM

Tentacleslap:
Hey thanks for taking your time and giving some feedback, your comments are appreciated.
The bike is fully registered and doesn't need an inspection, but when I did get it inspected, the tachometer was actually connected.
Best option would be to go to my local bike wreckers and try my cable against a dash of a CBR600, if it fits, then I reckon it will be all good coz the 1000F is longer than the 600 so I don't think length would be an issue, but that's only a guess of course.
I like various aftermarket speedos that I have seen on Ebay and Geek.wish.....but how do I know if they will fit ???
I'll keep searching and writing to Ebay sellers, hopefully one of them will know and perhaps that way I could buy one online.
So in the end it will be a CBR600 dash (if they fit) or an aftermarket one, will keep u posted about outcome.
Hey any photo links to your Yamaha? I used to have an R1...wicked fast
William

Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as aftermarket speedos, your guess is as good as mine. I know that they come in mechanical and digital types. Since the hurricane has a mechanical speedo, you would either need to fit a compatible mechanical speedo, or use a conversion kit (which do exist, and screw into the speedo gear at the wheel hub, and can also be connected to the axle). Ebay sellers usually aren't very helpful so I'd try and find the actual manufacturer and call or email their tech support for fitment guidance. Research would be your friend if you went this route, and I know a few nakeds on this forum have aftermarket dashes so you might want to start there

Sounds like Plan A is to fit a 600 dash which would probably be less trouble. As you say, just head to the junkers with cable in hand and see if the shoe fits. To be legal you'd still want to send it to a speedo shop so they could properly calibrate it, or else use a GPS to make the adjustment manually. That way when the cop asks if you know how fast you were going, you can at least guess in the right ballpark

My Yamaha is a little unloved 91 FZR600. Impulse purchase from kijiji. Previous owner was a kid who meant well, and took on the project, chopped up the fairings to make a streetfighter, then gave up due to a blown valve. 14,000 km on the clock, clean and good shape overall. Came with a spare motor so it's basically a head swap and reassy. Aftermarket fairings are available, so if I come into a spare $1700 I can dress it back up, but I think I'll leave it naked. It might be fun to have a little disposable supersport to throw around for a bit, or else I'll give it to my sister to learn on. I don't have a good pic of it but it's the white one in the top-left corner of this pic. Not much to look at tbh

I don't know what it is about Yamaha, but at times they had a brilliant eye for styling. The squinty-faced R1 is an absolute icon, along with it's smaller sibling. Plenty fast too

Attached Thumbnails CBR600F 1992 vs CBR1000F 1991 - Speedo Cable compatibility?-hurricane-pieces.jpg