Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Best/Overall Motorcycle Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best/Overall Motorcycle Helmet

d

Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 PM

arai is def. the best, worn by some of the top riders in motogp, nicky hayden for instance, and they have a more nature shape

Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Mad

HJC seems to fit me the best. Never bounced my head off the pavement yet though.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Mad

HJC seems to fit me the best.
In all fairness, that is what really matters...FIT.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Raven

Arai or die!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:56 PM

I've got the Shoei X-11 (Rainey and the new E-Boz) which is the best helmet, hands down, for highway riding and track. Around town I sport the RF-1000. Shoei is all that I've owned so I can't speak for the other brands. I think I will be trying out the Arai soon.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM

SpiritRR, ILOVE that Doohan!!!! Wish I could still find one of those.

As for my favorite of all time....Suomy Spec1R. Nothing else comes close in my opinion. Worth every penny I paid for it. And their customer service is great too.

B

Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Just got the new Scorpion exo 1k. If everything holds up well air bladder ect. It will be a great buy, Good quality feel. Looks great so as long as it works the way it is suppose to I will be very happy.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 AM

It really is about the fit. So there really cannot be a "best". Maybe a best for you though...

I have always been a high end guy and only bought AGV, Arai and Shoei. The quality gap between cheap and expensive used to be a gaping chasm, but has shrunk to a narrow crack in recent years.

Everyone whose head fits in either a 700 or 400 seems to love the Scorpions. My noggin doesnt like either shell. The only issue I have with them is they are a little chunky in the weight department. Build quality is amazing for the buck parted with.

I look at a helmets shield mechanism as a weak point that bears scrutinizing. KBC's particularly suck on this account, but they are not alone. The Distributors cant even get replacement parts and the company continues to redesign their funky pivot/retention widget. Scorpion looks good in this respect and AGV, Arai and Shoei are. Arai needs to shed those whistle producing sheild sideplates though. HJCs seem to have a sturdy shield pivot system too.

I had a chance to try on and examine AGV's new top of the line helmet and will have my new lid in December. It has few protrusions and fits my cranium like a second skull. I hope it is quiet! Thats a rare thing to find these days. BTW, this thing is a stunner.

But try a new lid on and leave it on before buying it. My last 2 helmets I took home and wore while i watched tv for an hour. All helmets lose at least a half size within a few hours due to the oils in your skin, perspiration and compression. You want your cheeks smushed when new. It will break in like a well worn sofa or mattress at grannies house. What you do not want are pressure point around your crown.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:25 AM

Moutainrider couldn't agree more,

I spent like 2-3 hours over a few daystrying on different makes, styles, sizes, until finally deciding on the SHOEI RF-1000 Diabolic TC5 (XL) haha ya ya i got a big heed

Quick Reply: Best/Overall Motorcycle Helmet