CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Aftermarket (https://cbrforum.com/forum/aftermarket-28/)
-   -   Are any Bikemaster turn signals DOT Approved? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/aftermarket-28/any-bikemaster-turn-signals-dot-approved-146231/)

bucki4lyfe 04-21-2013 09:29 AM

Are any Bikemaster turn signals DOT Approved?

Hey yall,

Looking for a little guidance/advice that I can't seem to find by searching Uncle Google...

My family got me some of the Bikemaster LED turn signals for the holidays and I just got around to installing them on my bike. I purchased a CBR600F4i (2002) last summer and the original rear turn signals were these strips of red lights that went under the seat. State of Virginia wouldn't let me pass the state inspection with that, (I'm not so worried about the inspection per se, but I'm also a reservist in the military, and they're sticklers about it)...so I installed the turn signals. Having tried to get another inspection by the state, the technician said the Bikemaster signals I installed were also not DOT approved....fail on my part.

So the question is, are there any Bikemaster signals that ARE DOT approved? I figured, instead of ripping out the wiring to install a new company's turn signals, I could keep the wiring I spent three hours doing yesterday, just unscrew the current non-DOT Bikemasters, installing new DOT-approved ones by Bikemaster and have it all be easy...

But that would be too easy...

Help appreciated.

bucki4lyfe 04-28-2013 10:02 AM

So, appears I got no help! just kidding...

In case people were interested, I found out that Bikemaster doesn't make DOT-approved turn signals, so I went to a local shop, and found the K&S signals that are DOT-approved. Just purchased a set for the front and back.

For other riders in Virginia--here is something interesting. When trying to get my bike inspected, the mechanic told me that my mirrors were not within regulations, because they have integrated turn signals but are NOT hooked up to the wiring so they work. He said, you are not allowed to have signals any place on the bike that do not function...any signal must work.

So I also had to get new mirrors, take off the old ones with the integrated signal...

Why didn't I just keep my integrated mirrors and hook those up? Because Honda didn't start making integrated turn signals for CBRs until 2003....and I have a 2002.

vfrman 05-04-2013 09:41 AM

That makes no sense. If you have integrated signals that aren't hooked up but you do have signals on the bodywork that do work, then you should be GTG. Not like anyone pays attention/uses turn signals any more. LOL.

bucki4lyfe 05-08-2013 09:37 PM

Totally agree with you on that...but like I mentioned above...the state inspector AND the military inspector informed me that I can't have mirrors with integrated turn signals that don't light up. I know vfrman, it's crap...but welcome to the ridiculous rules to which I am subjected!

Have no fear, I bought four K&S DOT turn signals and have installed two on the rear...two more to go on front....just gotta figure out how to do that...