CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   900 & + Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/900-modifications-44/)
-   -   Need Help Want to change my 1995 gauge cluster (https://cbrforum.com/forum/900-modifications-44/need-help-want-change-my-1995-gauge-cluster-22912/)

tdgroup 09-12-2006 04:48 PM

Need Help Want to change my 1995 gauge cluster

I want to change my 1995 cbr 900rr guage cluster to a digital one with a gas light. is there anything out there for that? pm me or email me

japanese900rr 09-14-2006 05:32 AM

RE: Need Help Want to change my 1995 gauge cluster

the ever so wonder fuel meter question.... It involves a bit more then most can chew.... not too feasable I'm sorry to say. You'd need to make too many things one involving making a hole in your tank to place a fuel level meter with the risk of it leaking and doing all the wiring to get it connected and getting the proper voltage to go through it to show the right reading; in addition, finding a place on the bottom of the tank to put the unit that floats in the right way to show you have the correct fuel level. Plus, you have an airbox right at the bottom of the tank so it would involve either changing to K&N or UNI Stack filters.... too much work for something too simple as reading your miles on the tripometer and using your petcock when you reach your reserver level....[:@]

As for the digital gauge, I have heard people putting the 98-99 gauges by using the speedodrive off the sprocket cover but it involves getting a unit that gives the right amperage (you can buy these) because the 98-99 reads off the crank and the 95-97 reads off the sprocket.

tdgroup 09-14-2006 11:23 AM

well i can live with out the gas light but would love the digital gauges.... any suggestions were i should sart looking to buy? or could i use any 98 or 99 cluster

japanese900rr 09-14-2006 11:46 AM

I came accross these two types of aftermarket digital gauges that are pretty much universal. I was considering using these instead. They're not bad in price and they look pretty nice. I was going to make a casing in Carbon Fiber and make the proper mounting points

JP CYCLES

Service Honda

Let me know what you guys think.

tdgroup 09-14-2006 12:39 PM

i love the honda service one... how hard or easy would that be to installl? and what do u mean casing?

japanese900rr 09-14-2006 01:04 PM

Casing just refers to something that mounts the gauges onto the gauge stay and whatever else you wanted to keep(water temp gauge, etc. from the original gauges.)

As for installing, you'll need just to set up the magnets on a rotor(Which I advise using JB Weld because I hear people talking about their experiences using after market magnet speedo's having their magnets fall off) and straping the wires out of the way, splicing into a positive wire, and figuring how to mount it on the gauge stay. From what I understand, you can adjust the speedo like the speed healers so that the speed reading become closer to true reading. Best advice is calling the manufacturer and confirming everything that it involves. I recall in their website a PDF manual that explains including a simple universal install explanation. Remeber that this unit doesn't have a water temp gauge... I was goint to use mine off the original gauges and make a clean housing to hold the digital gauge and water temp somehow for a cleaner look.

The one you say you like is distributed by:

ElectroSport
615 S. Tremont Street,
Oceanside CA 92054
PH: 760-433-0184
FX: 760-433-1052
www.electrosport.com

Call them up or email them through the website to ask more details. I'm just a potential customer like you.

japanese900rr 09-14-2006 01:07 PM

I just checked their site out, they have multiple speedo drive reading units. They should have a cable that replaces the type the CBR900rr 95-97 uses. Call them. In addition, I found that they also have units that include the water temp gauge digitally. less fabrication and simpler swaps. ;)

tdgroup 09-14-2006 01:24 PM

thanks alot.. i dont plan on installing this myself...lmao i will be taking it to a bike shop. just want all the parts i need before i do it

japanese900rr 09-14-2006 01:26 PM

It is custom work so careful on the labor fees.... hard to say how many hours of labor they might say it will be.

tdgroup 09-14-2006 01:29 PM

this with brighter lights bulbs and a steering damper are the only mods i will likely do... these digital gauges are hot