600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

New Owner of F4 2000 model, need some opinions.

  #1  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 217
Default New Owner of F4 2000 model, need some opinions.

is more carbon fiber better? and what is the list of recomended mods to the bike. i'm in college so i can't go overly extravagant, but if everything totals up to under a grand I would be very happy person. oh, and no split seats, thats half of my budget right there although i do want to get new fairings but they are only a couple hundred. Here is what i was thinking about adding to the bike, tell me if u got any extra ideas or think something i listed is retarded.

New all black fairings w/ lighnting graphics
black out the frame and swingarm or coat them in carbon fiber???
carbon fiber levers-already done
black pegs, front and back
black rearsets
carbon hugger/chainguard
carbon frame sliders
thinking about doing a carbon dash
also thinking carbon upper fairings( i think thats what they are, little black matte pieces just under and back of guages)
carbon triple tree upper
black bolt kit
carbon mirrors with integrated turn signals cause i hate the damn things on the side of the bike that stick out like a sore thumb
new seat, thinking about a corbin but they are so god damn expensive,( it might wait until next spring)

i have a chrome viper pipe the previous owner put on it and its all dull and i can't get it to shine for anything, any tips cause i like the way it sounds and if i get a new one what kind sounds best???
 

Last edited by canhead64; 09-25-2009 at 01:00 PM.
  #2  
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
gotcbr's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,494
Default

Since you're a new owner, make sure all of the bike's maintenance issues are up to date first...especially if the bike is to be a main source of transportation. Also, make sure you have a good quality set of tires. It couldn't hurt to check your suspension & make adjustments for your particular build & type of riding you'll be doing. If unsure about your suspension settings, just make sure they're set to factory standards, as they left the factory...you can find this in the factory service manual.

Then, you can focus on individual preferences & go-fasters. Nothing wrong w/ personalizing your bike, just make sure you've got it ready for use first b/f spending all your money on things that won't have a bearing on how it runs. I'd rather have my bike be dependable & look a little rough around the edges...than have a shiney sharp looking bike that can't leave the garage.
 
  #3  
Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 PM
PlayfulGod's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dalton, GA
Posts: 6,026
Default

skip the carbon slider and only use slider made of derlin. Anything else will catch on the pavement and cause more damage in the event of a crash
 
  #4  
Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 217
Default

Originally Posted by gotcbr View Post
Since you're a new owner, make sure all of the bike's maintenance issues are up to date first...especially if the bike is to be a main source of transportation. Also, make sure you have a good quality set of tires. It couldn't hurt to check your suspension & make adjustments for your particular build & type of riding you'll be doing. If unsure about your suspension settings, just make sure they're set to factory standards, as they left the factory...you can find this in the factory service manual.

Then, you can focus on individual preferences & go-fasters. Nothing wrong w/ personalizing your bike, just make sure you've got it ready for use first b/f spending all your money on things that won't have a bearing on how it runs. I'd rather have my bike be dependable & look a little rough around the edges...than have a shiney sharp looking bike that can't leave the garage.
Ya i have already done this to the bike it was # 1 priority, didn't even ride it but once until i changed plugs, cleaned carbs n jets, change oil, check clutch, new air filter, tighten chain, replace tires(seller gave me a set ), and generally perform a good once over. if it doesn't run it isn't worth spending money on.

i have yet to change the suspension as the previous owner was about my size and weight although he did ride in town and i will prolly be taking a few more back roads than him. i'll try it for a week n see what happens.

but ya so i got the critical stuff done and now i am just set on customizing it. its gonna start getting cold here before too long and i was getting together a list of mods i want to do so i can go by the parts n get them on the bike without having to wait for parts.

Here it is as it is now and a picture of the graphics i am gonna get put on it. also thinking about white rim stripes and repainting brakes. should i go white or black on the brakes?
 
Attached Thumbnails New Owner of F4  2000 model, need some opinions.-100_5792.jpg   New Owner of F4  2000 model, need some opinions.-lightningkit.jpg  
  #5  
Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 217
Default

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
skip the carbon slider and only use slider made of derlin. Anything else will catch on the pavement and cause more damage in the event of a crash
thanks for the heads up. that is something i did not know.
 
  #6  
Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 PM
gotcbr's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,494
Default

Soldier on!!!

Sounds like you have a good plan for your own personal custom touches.
  • I'd recommend a double-bubble windscreen if you'll be commuting.
  • As for the Corbin seat, yeah, they're great but expensive. You can redo your own seat pretty easily. Just remove the vinyl cover, install & shape memory foam, recover w/ marine-vinyl. ;-) It won't be a Corbin but it'll be a-l-o-t cheaper...especially on a college budget.
  • For front signals, I use HotBodies flushmount LED's. They fit the fairings perfectly, are very visable, & are easily installed.
Hope you accomplish what you want on your budget.
 
  #7  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
PlayfulGod's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dalton, GA
Posts: 6,026
Default

Originally Posted by canhead64 View Post
Ya i have already done this to the bike it was # 1 priority, didn't even ride it but once until i changed plugs, cleaned carbs n jets, change oil, check clutch, new air filter, tighten chain, replace tires(seller gave me a set ), and generally perform a good once over. if it doesn't run it isn't worth spending money on.

i have yet to change the suspension as the previous owner was about my size and weight although he did ride in town and i will prolly be taking a few more back roads than him. i'll try it for a week n see what happens.

but ya so i got the critical stuff done and now i am just set on customizing it. its gonna start getting cold here before too long and i was getting together a list of mods i want to do so i can go by the parts n get them on the bike without having to wait for parts.

Here it is as it is now and a picture of the graphics i am gonna get put on it. also thinking about white rim stripes and repainting brakes. should i go white or black on the brakes?
You talking about the brake calipers? If so white would look great... for all of a few miles. I like the gold myself, but black would be easier and easier to keep clean looking.
 
  #8  
Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 217
Default

Originally Posted by gotcbr View Post
Soldier on!!!

Sounds like you have a good plan for your own personal custom touches.
  • I'd recommend a double-bubble windscreen if you'll be commuting.
  • As for the Corbin seat, yeah, they're great but expensive. You can redo your own seat pretty easily. Just remove the vinyl cover, install & shape memory foam, recover w/ marine-vinyl. ;-) It won't be a Corbin but it'll be a-l-o-t cheaper...especially on a college budget.
  • For front signals, I use HotBodies flushmount LED's. They fit the fairings perfectly, are very visable, & are easily installed.
Hope you accomplish what you want on your budget.
thanks for the info. i was kinda leaning towards redoing the seat myself but i haven't done much fabric work like that, but i might give it a try. as for the double bubble windscreen why exactly does this help in commuting? I think i know but if you could tell me anyways just so i know for sure i would appreciate it. and as for the turn signals i think i'm gonna go with the integrated because the stock mirrors suck.
 
  #9  
Old 09-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 217
Default

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
You talking about the brake calipers? If so white would look great... for all of a few miles. I like the gold myself, but black would be easier and easier to keep clean looking.
thats what i was thinking about the white but if someone thought it wouldn't be all that bad i was gonna go for it.
 
  #10  
Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 AM
PlayfulGod's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dalton, GA
Posts: 6,026
Default

Originally Posted by canhead64 View Post
thanks for the info. i was kinda leaning towards redoing the seat myself but i haven't done much fabric work like that, but i might give it a try. as for the double bubble windscreen why exactly does this help in commuting? I think i know but if you could tell me anyways just so i know for sure i would appreciate it. and as for the turn signals i think i'm gonna go with the integrated because the stock mirrors suck.
Theres not many good loking mirrors that dont suck far as function go.

A dbl bubble raises the path of air going over it and your head. Only really effective at high speeds IMO dbl's look like shyt on a F4.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner of F4 2000 model, need some opinions.


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.