600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

My 94 CBR600 F2 mod log.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I haven't updated this in awhile...

Let's start off where I left off!

After priming the tank, I painted it black...it came out really good and my next few coats were going to be clear...but somehow the tank got kicked over in the metals shop and got scraped up. Luckily not dented though...but enough to scrape down to the primer. I have yet to repaint it, I'm going to do it near the end of the semester just in case somebody kicks it again.

Anyways, after that I guess the next thing would be wiring and gauges...I spent a good bit of time on this, and really it's been a pointless project, just been doing it so I can register and get the bike street legal before I get my fairings (more on that below).

I'll get some pictures tomorrow, but basically I have the tach and speedo mounted in the most jerry-rigged way I think possible. I took two hose clamps, welded a bead connecting the two adjustment screw holders and then tightened the gauges in haha, wired them up and got them working, wasn't too hard really, just looks really bad. Especially with the crappy front street fighter fairing thing...

But hey, they're gauges right? I have a full cluster just waiting to go in...once I get the fairing stay and the fairings I want.

Now, over my spring break I jumped in my car and headed down to a bit past Boston, ended up being in the car for 8 hours total...but I went with my brother so that added some time and it was fun. But anyways, went down to get a full fairing set, windscreen, brake light, seat, gauges, and blinkers for $75...plus like $60 in gas, and $20 in tolls, and $30 in food and crap. Anyways, ended up costing me about $185 or something like that, would have been a great deal...except the gauges go to the F3...and I have an F2. But that's not all. The fairings are broken, plus I'm fairing sure they go to an F3 because they don't line up to any fairing mounts on my F2. The paint on them is also terrible. The windscreen has sticker goo all over it and is cloudy...can't really be used. So I ended up paying $185 for a seat which is ripped (cracked really because it's super dry), a tail light, and front blinkers...and wasted a day of vacation. Well...live in learn I guess.

Next up, I went to hook the blinkers up, wired everything up, connected everything, and nothing was working, I thought I blew the relay so i headed on up to the store, got a relay and that burnt out instantly, so for the heck of it I threw the old one on, changed the wires up...and it worked! So whatever, wasted $5 but at least it works now...only problem is it still clicks 100% of the time when the bike is running, so I guess I have to get a new one anyways...but at least the blinkers work now.

My tail light was replaced as well, so no cracks in that anymore.

Now all I need to get it street legal is put mirrors on, and install rear blinkers and replace the low beam bulb.

I am really hoping I can get a set of fairings though, I am not a huge fan of my bike being naked, but we'll see where it goes...pictures tomorrow!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Well, after looking into some fairings online and trying to match up the ones I bought in Boston it turns out that they're a set of $895 fairings and they do, indeed go to the F2.

Turns out the tail fairings (the one I had been basing my judgement on) wasn't sliding over a piece and that's why it wouldn't line up. Stupid me I guess...but oh well, I have another set ordered from a member on here. I also got a headlight, mirrors, and windscreen from him...I need a fairing stay (if you have one, please sell it to me) to get the bike street legal, I'm rather excited right now.

Anyways, as for the fairings I bought before, I am going to take them to the shop tomorrow and try to sand them down and get them smooth, fix the cracks and resand them then put some primer on them and paint them white probably. At that point I'm going to sell them...so if anybody is looking for some fairings for an F2, I've got some!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Alright, well it looks like I might be taking my MSF in about a week if all goes well! Can't wait to get my license!

Still need to do a few things, and get the bike registered/street legal, but that should all happen within the next 2 weeks and I hope to be road ready around my birthday (June 16th).

Hopefully somebody will buy me motorcycle gear for my birthday too...but we'll see!

In other news, got screwed over again on fairings, we'll see where this goes...hopefully it works out.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Alright, license soon I hope. Maybe 2 weeks away...classes are tough to schedule with work, plus I have to get some days off for a college thing.

Anyways, looking at gear now, trying to complete my set. Hopefully will have everything I need to start riding soon! Can't wait!!

Also, has anybody used probolts?

I'm looking to buy...

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php...l#.T9A6w7CLO8A

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php...air-black.html

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php...l#.T9BDJLCLO8A

For my bike and want to know if anybody has used them before?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
Alright, license soon I hope. Maybe 2 weeks away...classes are tough to schedule with work, plus I have to get some days off for a college thing.

Anyways, looking at gear now, trying to complete my set. Hopefully will have everything I need to start riding soon! Can't wait!!

Also, has anybody used probolts?

I'm looking to buy...

Aluminium Fairing Kit CBR600 FM-FR-FS-FT '91-'96 Black

Aluminium Valve Dust Cap - Pair - Black

Aluminium Number Plate Kit Black

For my bike and want to know if anybody has used them before?

Thanks!
i dont think there is anything bad to say about them. it is a bit of a pain, but you could get ALL of those bolts at your local hardware store. might not be anodized black, but I would see the trade off in price for stainless bolts being worth it..
Its might just be me, but the locations your looking at putting that stuff just wouldnt be worth it. i could validate getting the fancy valve stem screws. but plate and fairing screws are pretty secluded IMO. its a different story if you were talking clutch/stator cover screws or tank filler screws or others in the likes where they would be standing out more.

just my .02!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 PM

You have a good point...but I don't have the bolts for those parts, so I need to get them one way or another, this just insures I get all the right one, I don't really need the color.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 PM

You could also check out sportbikebolts.com
They have a coupon code, that I shared with someone in the f4 thread and he said it still worked. That was maybe only 2 weeks ago. Coupon code 4forum20. I ordered a fairing bolt set for my f4 a few months ago for like $32 shipped. They also have anodized colors as well.

Can't wait for the pics of this!!

Edit: The coupon code is for 25% the order i believe. I looked up the f2 kit. "screws only are almost 29, and a complete bolt kit (which includes fender clips, plastic washers, etc) is like 48. So pro-bolts may still be cheaper.

Last edited by armyjeffries; 06-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Yeah thanks! I have the fairing kit sitting here, I don't need a ton more bolts, I just don't know which ones I need hahaha

I had all of them on the bike, but only by tape and stuff to see what it looked like. A few pieces are broken, going to repair what I can and replace what I can't.

My goal is to have it on the road around June 20th. That way I can take a trip down to my college for orientation about a week after that. That's a 220 mile trip and a lot of highway driving so I have to get some practice in before then.

Then I have to drive back another 220 miles 2 days later, but won't be that bad, and I am super excited to have my bike and license...cannot wait!!

Now looking into getting a set of Vapor Trail Tech gauges, anybody have these? What were your thoughts on them...seems like a pretty good deal for a set of digital gauges for $165 shipped!!

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 06-08-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 AM

If you can get it street legal without the fairings, which I'm guessing will be mostly irrelevant as far as the dmv is concerned, I definitely recommend taking your msf, getting your license and learning to ride asap--with or without fairings. They don't really make a difference in performance unless you're going over 80 mph (maybe strong headwinds will be annoying to you on a windy day with nothing to tuck behind, but other than that...) and in the somewhat reasonably likely event that you drop your bike during your initial learning process you won't damage your plastics.

Another reason I recommend taking your time getting fairings on is that as you've already seen, they can be a deceptively challenging project to tackle successfully, and it's worth it to be patient and find the right ones in a good condition. I know it's tempting to try to get your bike looking good right away, as it's your baby, but performance is generally far more important and like I said it would be a shame if you put in all that time and effort only to lay it down gently at a stoplight.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

They do protect the frame though, I had to learn the hard way plus before I rashed my frame up I didnt even think about the fairings protecting my frame, Now it would have been soooooo worth it.

Quick Reply: My 94 CBR600 F2 mod log.