600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

I think I fixed my P.O.S. D&D slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I think I fixed my P.O.S. D&D slip-on

My F4 had a D&D on it when I bought it, and I hated it. I chopped it about 4 inches and packed it with #00 steel wool. I saw that someone tried to put some down the middle and it help quiet it down a lot so I did that. I don't know how long it'll stay in there, but i revved it up quite a bit and it stayed. So maybe it will stay. Who knows? All I know is I'm surprised that it sounds so good, considering how bad it was before.

I hope I'm allowed to post that here.

Last edited by c_keeton600f4; 12-08-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
LBS

Steel wool rusts like nobody's business...

Have you ever smelled wet, rusting steel wool? My god it stinks

Not only that, but once it does rust, it can become a messy glob of air restricting crap, possibly clogging up any perforations in the baffles/s, and defeating their design. (ie: now louder again)

In the past I have bought a bunch of stainless steel pot scrubber thingies that accomplished the same objective, theoretically without the rust issue.

Speaking of rust, dude your chain looks like it needs adjusting and lube!

What a downer I am, eh?

Sorry

Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM

A LOT of people have repacked mufflers with steel wool. so i'm not too worried about it. it won't blow out like fiberglass. and yes, i know about the chain. it's way past adjusting and lube, by the way. i'm pretty sure the guy i bought it from never adjusted it. it's stretched.

Last edited by c_keeton600f4; 12-09-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 PM

never adjusting it won't cause it to stretch, obviously it'll stretch no matter what. Without proper lubrication between the sleeves and pins, they will get hot and fail, yes break. Be careful.

I've also used the stainless dish washing things, they work great!! Also would not pack anything in the center...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM

it seems that everything i say/do is wrong, so i guess i give up. i'll make sure to ask everyone else's opinion on here before i do anything else. i just used other peoples ideas to do this muffler by the way. i did the exact same thing to mine that i read that someone else did. if i had the money for a new muffler, i would buy one. trust me. but i don't, so i'm trying to make what i have work.

and GDM YO, please give me an explanation on why you wouldn't pack anything in the center, besides it being shot out if there's nothing in there to hold it in, like safety wire. that's obvious. and i feel pretty confident that some steel wool isn't going to cause too much back pressure.

and i apologize that the guy i bought the bike from didn't take care of the chain, it's not my fault. it has tight and loose spots in it now, so adjusting it is honestly pointless. if it's adjusted right in one spot, it's too tight or too loose in another. i have actually adjusted it 3 times in the 5 months or so that i've had it, and lubed it about every other time i ride it. it get's loose every time i adjust it. it's been about 3 weeks at least since i rode, and the chain just won't hold lube that's why it looks so awful. it's shot. the chain is useless. it's trashed. it shouldn't be on there. ok? ok.

my first thread here seems to be total crap.
rant is now over.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 PM

and here's where i got the steel wool idea.

http://www.sportbikers.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15409

i like how no one had anything bad to say about it on that thread.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy dude, no need to get emo.

If you ask questions on here you're going to get feedback and opinions and some of it will be right and some won't and some of it is just suggestions to give you something to think about.

I personally wouldn't worry about the steel wool.. unless you're letting it sit outside in the rain and not riding it much it'll probably hold up fine for a while. If you use the bike regularly, I'm sure any of the steel wool that breaks down will end up just getting blown out the can. I wouldn't have packed the middle with it as I doubt it'll stay for very long, but I can't imagine it being any kind of problem.

The comments on your chain are pretty much what goes on around here. It's not to give you a hard time (mostly :P ), it's to make you aware of a situation that probably needs attention on your bike. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes on your bike brings attention to something that you might overlook. Don't take it badly, people are just giving you some info.

That said, I'd be looking at a new chain/sprocket kit cuz your chain looks pretty rough and having that thing snap and crack a hole in your case on the highway would really suck...

People on here are pretty helpful and mostly just looking to weigh in when a question is asked or a thread like this is started, try not to be so defensive.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 PM
LBS

Christ on a crutch, mate.

Chill!

No one was snarking at you or saying: You suck! Your mod sucks!

I was just trying to add some possibly helpful info that you could choose to interest yourself in or not. I thought I had worded it pretty friendly, and added appropriate smilies to further indicate my intent.

I did the steel wool thing about oh, 26 years ago. When I went to again modify my muffler, I discovered the stuff had turned to a rusted glob of stinking crap which blocked nearly all the baffle holes.

Perhaps where I live and the very high humidity levels, lower temperatures, and short trips where my muffler didn't have a chance to truly heat up and evaporate all the combustion moisture, was responsible.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:24 PM

my bad. i got offended for some reason. i don't know. it's all good. sorry about that.
i looked at my chain, and it's still in pretty bad shape, and still needs to be replaced, but i will say that a lot of what you see in the picture is brake dust or dirt. but anyways, anyone know a good place to get a chain?

Last edited by c_keeton600f4; 12-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.