600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

F4i gauges on an F3 issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i gauges on an F3 issues

I did the gauge swap these are the things that don't work... Speedometer, neutral light, trip log, and temp readout. The speedo stays at 0 while i'm riding and the trip stays at 0.0? Do i need to twist the pink wire and the green wire together and then ground them out? Odometer read 50k, fi indicator works, blinker ind. works, tach goes all the way around and comes back as it should, clock stays the same. Just no speed reading, no neutral light, no trip log, and temp readout stays at --?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about the speedo/odometer thing (missed a wire?) The temp thing
is going from an analog sensor to a digital one. You get a 98-99 900r sensor
and replace the F3's. It is down beside the choke-cable mount. That little
brass bolt-thingy with a single wire capped on top.

Warn you though, when you go to remove the old sensor, HOSE it with wd-40
or break-free and walk away for 30 minutes. I have read several stories of
sensors snapping off flush to the mounting. Don't be the next one.

With an extension and a deep-socket for 1/4" drive ratchet, you can reach it
without pulling the carbs. Use a little grease in the socket to keep the new sensor
from falling out of it as you install it. Use a little teflon tape around the new one, too.

Ern

P.S. did a quick scan and can't find the wire chart I used when I did the switch-up.
Sorry on that front. E.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 PM

Got the temp sensor in today from Ronayers for a 99 cbr 900rr. Sprayed the old one 2 days in advance got the new one in with no problem, i dunno maybe i got a faulty set of gauges?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Default Update

Originally Posted by impaladre
I did the gauge swap these are the things that don't work... Speedometer, neutral light, trip log, and temp readout. The speedo stays at 0 while i'm riding and the trip stays at 0.0? Do i need to twist the pink wire and the green wire together and then ground them out? Odometer read 50k, fi indicator works, blinker ind. works, tach goes all the way around and comes back as it should, clock stays the same. Just no speed reading, no neutral light, no trip log, and temp readout stays at --?
Okay i got the neutral light and the temp readout taken care of, I just bypassed the original bike wires to these two and straight wired. Now my last problem is the Speedometer and trip log, which i think the speed sensor will take care of, but i cannot find the speed sensor i know it's supposed to be somewhere by the front sprocket, i looked and looked but can't find it... I'm kind of thinking that my engine is from an F2 because the wiring was a little different and my front wheel has a cable that has been cut off, it looks like a sensor in between the rim and the left fork? If it is an F2 engine, how can i make this work?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by impaladre
Okay i got the neutral light and the temp readout taken care of, I just bypassed the original bike wires to these two and straight wired. Now my last problem is the Speedometer and trip log, which i think the speed sensor will take care of, but i cannot find the speed sensor i know it's supposed to be somewhere by the front sprocket, i looked and looked but can't find it... I'm kind of thinking that my engine is from an F2 because the wiring was a little different and my front wheel has a cable that has been cut off, it looks like a sensor in between the rim and the left fork? If it is an F2 engine, how can i make this work?
i dunno with it being an f2 engine, but the speedo wires for an f3 are solid pink, solid green. if your looking at the front sprocket, move your eyes to the top of the case above it. in the middle of the bike in the case is the sensor. the wires route up the right side of the frame. its a 3 pin connector (pink green black)

this is the proper wiring....

F3 ---------------------------------- F4i
Green/Blue -------------------- Green/Blue
Pink/Green -------------------- Pink/Green
Black/Brown ------------------ Black/Brown
Brown ------------------------- Brown/White
LtGreen/Red ----------------- LtGreen/Red
Orange ------------------------ Orange
Light Blue -------------------- Light Blue
Blue --------------------------- Blue
Blue/Red ---------------------- Blue/Red
Green (one) ------------------ Green
Green/Black ------------------ Green/Black
Yellow/Green----------------- Yellow/Green
Yellow/Black------------------ White/Blue
Pink (solid pink) - ground this out (other green)
Brown/Black-fuel reserve sensor not used
White/Blue-------------------- Not Used
Red/Green -------------------- connect to battery

Last edited by Will.Bass; 10-22-2011 at 02:20 PM.