CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/)
-   -   F4 track day suspension? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/f4-track-day-suspension-155187/)

letitsnow 11-06-2016 05:15 PM

F4 track day suspension?

Hello,
I have been lurking here for years, but just signed up recently. I have a 2000 CBR 600 that I have been using as a commuter for the past 4 years. Over the years I have replaced the wheel bearings, replaced brake fluid, adjusted valves (etc) myself. This bike has proven itself over and over.

I've just replaced the CBR (for commuting) with a new Yamaha FZ-07. Now I am planning to use the CBR for track days. I'd like better suspension, as the stock stuff probably hasn't been touched since 2000. I am thinking of having Lindemann Engineering rebuild/revalve/respring the shock and forks. With shipping, this will probably cost me $1250. I have put many miles on this bike and feel it deserves the attention, but wonder if there are other alternatives? I hate to just pay for something without exploring all options. Is Lindemann the best way to go?

I weigh 150 without gear, used to race expert class in the 90's, and might be an intermediate speed rider now.

coalminer frank 11-09-2016 07:06 AM

Welcome. Where are you? Lindeman is one option and he was definitely the man to go to back in the 90's. But there are more options nowadays. I dont think I'd spend that kind of money on a bike that old. I believe your best option would be to find a Fox or Ohlins on ebay for a reasonable price then send it off to Jamie at Daughtery Suspension for a rebuild for your weight and riding style. My Fox for my F2 cost $150 for the rebuild & it is way better than the stock 94 F2 shock that I had Lindeman redo for my weight when I raced CCS back in the 90's at Summit Point. Then I'd get some front springs from RaceTech for your weight and use the recommended fork oil weight and height, etc. On a side note, if you were an "expert" racer back then you will now find that you're still pretty fast and the intermediate group will be a little crowded with a mixture of riders who should go back to beginners group and some who should bump up to the advanced group. I bumped up to advanced because of less riders in that group and you learn to go faster by riding with faster riders.......on the track of course.

letitsnow 11-09-2016 07:12 PM

Thanks. I'm in MN.

After thinking more about this, I am thinking of changing the fork oil/springs myself, and having lindemann (or somebody) service the stock shock. I need to see if I even like the track days before spending much $$$.

Such difficult decisions... :)

coalminer frank 11-14-2016 07:54 AM

The thing about track days are YOU ARE NOT RACING. You are there to have fun and go home in one piece. If you're out there to try a prove something then you need to get a racing license and race. You will definitely get a tongue lashing for being to aggressive at a track day and possibly taking someone out with you when you crash. You're there to explore the limits of yourself and the bike in a controlled environment without the worrys of cops, speed limits, and cars etc.
If your stock shock dont have alot of miles on it, use it as is. If it does maybe replace it with a low mileage inexpensive ebay version. Lindleman is going to be an expensive option for sure. Last I heard he charged someone I know $400 for a stock shock rebuild. I have about the same amount invested in my Fox shock which included the price of the Fox from ebay and having it rebuild by Jamie at Daughtery.

letitsnow 11-15-2016 12:13 PM

Doing the track days on the F4 sounds perfect - not out to prove anything. I just want to enjoy my machine and maybe meet some others who enjoy theirs.

This may sound corny, but the the bike has made me smile so many times that I feel it deserves to have fresh suspension. I am not having the shock rebuilt to try and impress anybody by setting fast laps. The old CBR has earned it.

coalminer frank 11-15-2016 11:56 PM

I understand where you're coming from. I had way more fun on my F2 with racing slicks and proper suspension than I did on my 08 CBR 1k street only................ at the track. There's just something about my old F2 with those Bridgestone slicks that require tire warmers, the Fox shock for my weight, thicker fluid in the forks. Rearset footpegs that dont drag the ground. And all that street stuff removed and racing fairing. Not to mention an old 20 yr old 600 aint worth crap, so it you crash and destroy it you're not out that much, so you can basicly ring it freaken neck out on the track. Man O man I cant wait til I can afford to go to the track again.

letitsnow 11-19-2016 07:41 AM

I had my most success while racing an F2. They are fun bikes! I then switched to a zx6r in '95 (?), when they first came out - dropping valves and breaking frame welds... Made me appreciate the Honda.

When will you be able to get back to a track?

coalminer frank 11-19-2016 03:52 PM

I wont be going to the track for a while. If I get back in the coal mine I will be able to afford it, but making 1/5 of what I was making I just cant swing it.

letitsnow 11-19-2016 05:57 PM

Bummer