CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/)
-   -   Custom headlight project 98 F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/custom-headlight-project-98-f3-141055/)

cmartino88 08-11-2012 09:26 AM

Custom headlight project 98 F3

A lack of options for properly installing an hid kit has inspired me to begin this project. Retrofitting a projector is a necessity as to properly aim the beam which doesn't work with the with the stock lens due to the grooves inside (and no options for clear lenses) they would negate the projector. And you can't just stick an HID kit in there without blinding other drivers. This is my first write up so excuse the lengthiness and grammatical errors. I will be using two techniques here in order to create an affordable solution for anybody interested. The first will be to drill out a 3" hole in the stock lens and inserting an acrylic disc. Then blacking out the rest of the lens aside from the clear disc for a clear line of site for the projector. The second technique will be to create a plaster
negative of the lens and fill in the grooves followed by molding a clear acrylic sheet around it creating a perfectly clear replica of the stock lens.
Pictures and updates will be added tonight!

this guy 08-11-2012 07:50 PM

Yea there are no aftermarket headlights for the f3 and that is a area i dont like on my f3. I did a h.i.d halo projector mod myself. I ended up just sanding the groves off then polishing the lens to get it clear.i would like to see what you come up with.

VALKYIE 08-12-2012 12:47 AM

Good luck with your project let us know how it turns out. I was thinking about doing a angles eyes with my F3.

cmartino88 08-12-2012 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This will be procedure one, I have cut the hole out and painted over the areas to be blacked out but have not yet inserted acrylic disc.

Attachment 36785

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Attachment 36786

This is procedure two, the plaster is currently drying and will have a few pictures later hopefully. I will fill in the grooves and then vacuum form a sheet of acrylic around it.

cmartino88 08-12-2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by this guy (Post 1183878)
Yea there are no aftermarket headlights for the f3 and that is a area i dont like on my f3. I did a h.i.d halo projector mod myself. I ended up just sanding the groves off then polishing the lens to get it clear.i would like to see what you come up with.

I actually considered trying that but I couldn't figure out a good way to do it. How were you able to sand them all off? And what did you polish with?

this guy 08-13-2012 09:17 AM

I have herd that the f3 headlight came in glass and plastic. My was plastic. I started with heavy grit (60) and moved up to a fine grit (400,600).then i used a headlight cleaning kit for the final stage. I had some issues getting into the corners, but i have a better tool now. Forgot to add that it took many sanding hours too

cmartino88 08-29-2012 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mounted the acrylic lens into the stock lens with some plastic weld. I then mounted the projector into the housing. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow once its all together. I made a red vinyl ring that will cover that edge that looks a little chewed up.

Attachment 36465

Attachment 36466

cmartino88 09-03-2012 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36327

Done and installed. It works and looks great!

this guy 09-03-2012 08:21 PM

Nice work. Can u post a side view pic of your set up? Is your projector sticking pass the lends?

Will.Bass 10-19-2012 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by cmartino88 (Post 1183773)
And you can't just stick an HID kit in there without blinding other drivers.

I dont find this to be a true statement whatsoever. I have a HID kit in my f3 housing. Visibilty was increased by double, if not triple. There is a very difinitive line that can be aimed, which i did, and I have yet to be flashed due to "blinding".