CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/)
-   -   '89 CBR600 Restore or upgrade or street fighter (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/89-cbr600-restore-upgrade-street-fighter-124200/)

Dividedset 04-20-2011 01:52 PM

'89 CBR600 Restore or upgrade or street fighter

So I'm in the process of fixing up a 1989 CBR600 I recently purchased and now that all the mechanical things are taken care of I am at a fork in the road. Do I keep it original by getting mostly new OEM replacement fairings and getting them painted? Upgrade the fairings to a newer set off an F2 or F3? Or go street fighter with it and just rip off the fairings? I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks all!

pdcbrf2 04-20-2011 02:10 PM

Personally I would streetfighter... I almost bought a late 80's 1000 to do it but couldnt talk the wife into it

Dividedset 04-20-2011 02:29 PM

I'm thinking cost wise that might be the best option for sure. Anyone know what it would cost to powder coat the exposed metal if I do that? I do have a black and orange theme in mind. :)

gotcbr 04-20-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dividedset (Post 1041955)
I'm thinking cost wise that might be the best option for sure. Anyone know what it would cost to powder coat the exposed metal if I do that? I do have a black and orange theme in mind. :)

My local powder coating shop charges $40 per wheel. For frames, it can range from $100 per single color for frame alone, up to $300+ for frame/swingarm/subframe multi-color. Keep in mind, the prices are for completely disassembled & cleaned parts.

Hootie233 04-20-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dividedset (Post 1041955)

I think you will have to strip down your bike rather than just powder coating the exposed areas. I would expect it to be upwards of 400 bucks

Dividedset 04-20-2011 06:10 PM

You are right I will have to take it apart, down to the frame... but I still think it would be the most cost effective way of making the bike look nice. Even if I can find plastics for a good price, I'd still have to paint them.

Thanks for the replies folks!

Ace_Boogie 04-21-2011 06:57 AM

Im in the same boat!!

Originally Posted by Dividedset (Post 1041926)
So I'm in the process of fixing up a 1989 CBR600 I recently purchased and now that all the mechanical things are taken care of I am at a fork in the road. Do I keep it original by getting mostly new OEM replacement fairings and getting them painted? Upgrade the fairings to a newer set off an F2 or F3? Or go street fighter with it and just rip off the fairings? I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks all!

I have a 1990 CBR600, and my fairing are not in the best condition. I have been searching for fairings for it but I haven't come across a set I like. Anyways, I saw in you post about upgrading to the F2 or F3, and I was wondering if they would fit smoothly or would you have to rig them. Because I saw some new fairings for the F2 for around $300 versus all the used hurricane fairing for ~$200-$225.

Dividedset 04-21-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ace_Boogie (Post 1042287)
I have a 1990 CBR600, and my fairing are not in the best condition. I have been searching for fairings for it but I haven't come across a set I like. Anyways, I saw in you post about upgrading to the F2 or F3, and I was wondering if they would fit smoothly or would you have to rig them. Because I saw some new fairings for the F2 for around $300 versus all the used hurricane fairing for ~$200-$225.

I've seen several posts in the F1 forum about people converting to the F2. You would have to do a little modification, but if you like the look better and can find quality pieces than it would be worth it. I think I'm just going to go street fighter until I find a good set of plastic off an F1 at this point. It looks decent without the plastics!:icon_wink:

Dividedset 05-01-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ace_Boogie (Post 1042287)

Hey, since I am going street fighter with mine I do have my old fairings up for sale. I can't post them on the Part for Sale page here since I am not a senior member yet. PM me if you are interested in them. I have both side fairings, 2 left side fairing doors, and 1 right. All are complete with very minor scuffs. Let me know if you want pics and I can PM them to you.

tds94probe 05-05-2011 06:44 PM

If youre going to upgrade farings you might as well upgrade to F4 or RR, It has been done and makes the bike look UNREAL!