600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

What are some easy, simple & cool mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some easy, simple & cool mods?

Just bought my first bike. I had some mods in mind like, yellow rim tape and flush mounts. Wanted to get some opinions on what else i can possibly do...
its an 03 600rr btw. stock yellow. trying to figure out how to upload picture :$

Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 AM

very common mods are: exhaust, flush mounts, undertail, fender eliminator kit, adjustable levers, HID lights, aftermarket mirrors, air filter, Frame sliders, sproket change-1 +2, power commander, speedo-healer, tinted windscreen, braided brake lines etc...

But most importantly upgrade your own riding skills. check out "A Twist of The Wrist". Im sure you can find it somewhere on the forum, its a great read.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The reason you cant put up pics is because you are still in moderation. Read this:https://cbrforum.com/forum/forum-hel...%2A%2A-133320/

Once you are cleared to post pics:https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-membe...-posts-116758/

Good luck with your upgrades and welcome to the forum.
Stop by the new member area and introduce yourself. It'll help in getting you approved sooner...

Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks a lot. I'm still getting to learn more about bikes...do you mind telling me what the sprocket change, power commander and speedo-healer do?
I want to change my tail lights to integrated, but ive been told there not as visible as stock and many times cant be seen by other drivers, especially during the day (the amber).

Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Tail light- I am also going with an integrated. try to find one with LED lights, they should be plenty bright.

the sprocket change will give you better off the line speed, with more torque and faster speeding up. but the top-end speed will decrease (not that you ever need to go 160+)

the speedo-healer will make your speedometer more accurate, especially with any mods that could alter that. ie the sproket change. i think they also record top speed and other specs.

the power commander will allow you to tune your bike custom, you only really need one when you change air filter and exhaust or any mechanical changes. it will help your bike run correctly. And give it the right air to fuel ratio.

im not an expert on these things, so anyone that knows more please jump in and correct me lol.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Sprocket changes will change your bikes low end torque and top speed. More of one results in less of the other. It also changes your rpms at different speeds. the healer just fixes the speedo after you do gear changes.

The power commander gives you the ability to change the fuel metering, spark control, and spark timing.

Ride it first, a lot, before you start changing things. The bike is more than enough as it is for you right now. Gotta learn the bike first....

Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM

exactly. I was thinking that aswell, doing all that would be a lot especially considering its already a beast. I think I'll just stick with cosmetic upgrades for now...But thanks a lot. This forum is teaching me a lot.
I was told, that the bearings for my bike might be going bad? how will it effect my ride, what can I feel for while riding it which will indicate that infact there going bad?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:46 PM

I think the manual says to put the rear tire up on a stand, and move it side to side and listen/feel for bad bearings. how many miles are on your bike?

Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 AM

49,000km
One of my older buddies rode it. And as he was taking very slow turns, the bars kinda wanted to turn towards one side and not really center back...thats what made him say its the bearings...

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

simple and easy way to test your steering tree bearings: lift the bike up from the sidestand, pull the front brake on, rock the bike back and forth against the brake, if you feel clonking or slack from the steering, your bearings are either worn or tightened too loose, that could cause the steering to "wander" around. Should you decide to take the steering apart, bear in mind the bearing ***** are loose and will clink all over the floor if you just pull it apart. Some stiff vaseline/grease will help with the assembly.

Quick Reply: What are some easy, simple & cool mods?