600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: suspension setup

ORIGINAL: be vertical

I checked the pressure in my notebook and it was 37 in the front and 40 in the back with the tires are like 75 degrees (room temp) but not ridden on. They ride pretty firm, but that is usually the way I like it. I have the michelin power race tiires are they are max rated at something like 50psi, so they can handle the pressure just fine.
I think that you're running cold pressures that are way too high. When I was running Michelin PRs, my tire vendor recommended cold pressures of 22 in the rear and 31 in the front. The rear Michelin PR has a stiff carcass so lower pressures allow better traction.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Very interesting info Jason! +1 on the quality feedback.

I totally believe you in running much lower tire pressures for the track. I am just trying to figure out how I can get the most grip. Does the fact that I am not on the track 99% of the time have anything to do with putting in a pressure as low as michelin recommends? I get them pretty hot, as I tend to stick around the local twisties quite a bit. I think that pressure that low will kill the tire life, but I would rather have better grip and pay out a little more often.

I also thought that the back was supposed to me firmer then the front?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Also I did not see any 07 settings on that website....?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:27 PM

If you're running on the street, get rid of the Power Race tires.. at a street pace, even a a very, very fast street pace, race tires just don't come up to and maintain the correct tempature and actaully offer much less grip than a true street tire. Run street tires as they are designed for optimum grip across a much larger tempature range. On my street bike (duc 748) I actaully run normal everyday Pilot Powers, not even the 2CT's, and have never had a single traction issue due to the tire itself.

If you're really looking to optimize grip, tires are only 1/2 of it or less, the suspenion set-up plays a huge role in it, with the correct spring rates being the most important part.

Yes, typicially the front is run a couple lb's more pressure, but michelin is the exception the rear Power Race is specifically designed to run at a low temp (as goose wrote) because of it's construction (extremely stiff side wall). I have also heard that the new rear Dunlop DOT race tire due out this summer will also run a extremely low pressure.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:49 AM

Interesting... I guess I will be getting different tires next time. I do have to say though that they stick great, and I have never had a problem with them thus far. I always try to keep my tires as warm as possible when riding, but I doubt they get as hot as they would on a track.

I also am looking for a shop that will professionally set my suspension so that it is matched to my weight and all. I do kinda want to play with it myself though, as I was looking for a good base setting to start at, such as the ones from sport rider, but they do not seem to have any 07 settings, so I am not sure where I will be going with that just yet.

Thanks for the help though. Sorry I stole your thread f3.