600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Streetfighter Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Streetfighter Project

Thanks man, I already had him bookmarked lol.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Look at the "frame" for the bimota Tessi 3-D (The new one released this year) it is a "C" shaped affair that goes over and arround hte engine. (it is a V twin though) you might get some ideas on how to make the frame narrower.

This project is way beyond cool BTW

Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 PM

First, Im impressed andwill definitely befollowing your progress.

Well... if wetakea casual glanceat how Ducati dominated GP this year,its apparentthat the chro-mo trellis frame is a great model to follow. It sure gave the alloy box framed bikessome lessons in handling.

I've never seen a GP bike with the fuel tank below the seat. I think what the earlier poster was refering to was the NSR and not the NR. Huge faux paux by Honda. They were attempting to optimize mass centralization. Look where everyone has them today. Must be a reason.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Thanks guys, really means a lot that you think its a cool project. I think the gas tank under the seat is more of a fashion statement at this point more than anything else. When I get more time/money teh plan is to design and build a new bike to World Superbike spec. I know it wont be allowed in because it wont be made by a manufacturer, but making everything besides the engine, forks, shock, wheels, and brake calipers myself will be a blast.

Update:

Forks have arroved, so now i need to devise a way to mount my calipers correctly, since they're AP Racing units and my forks are from a GSXR.

Also, the engine is no longer in pieces. I have to torque everything down, I forgot to put the oil pickup in, and I'm missing the bolt for the cam chain guide and the oil dipstick for some reason, but she's all in one piece. I just have to fix these couple problems, but I'm happy thats all i forgot. The engine's been sitting in my dining room for a couple months, so its no surprise I left out a few things tonight when I went to put it back together.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 PM

So my engine is all in one piece again, thats a relief. Took a bit of time to get the timing set up perfectly, but it pays off with no bent valves etc. APE cam chain tensoiner installed and looks like it works like a charm. So now when I get my frame ready I'll have something to put in it.

It actually just occurred to me that the F2 guys could have benefited from a complete engine rebuild thread, but oh well, she's not coming apart again.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 AM

How extensive was the engine rebuilt?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 AM

It wasn't really, just that I wanted to be sure that there weren't any problems with it, since I dont know the history. So I ripped it down, cleaned it up, painted it, and re-assembled with lots of assembly lube and all brand new gaskets. The only "mod" I guess you'd call it, was an APE tensioner. I'd like to get the crank lightened so she'd rev faster, but I'm a little light on funds right now.

I actually found two of the tabs off of clutch friction plates down in the oil, and considering the clutch in her is almost new, I'd figure she threwa clutch packat some point. But everything looks fine now, and she's squeaky clean inside, so I'm confident it'll work well.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM

Wow, looks like you have yourself a cool project. Did you start with hand sketches and then did the suspension design or just went straight from the suspension up? I look forward to following the project!
~NorthernFirepower

Old 11-01-2007, 02:50 PM

Well I knew the look i was going for, so i started with a 3d engine model in Solidworks, and kind of built up the frame so it would fit the engine and suspension, but also my requirements as well. I cant draw, so I draw with computers instead. Plus this way all my tube cuts are on a list and i can just print it off and go nuts.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM

Hey guys, I just thought I'd post a couple pics of the assembled engine and my forks:

Quick Reply: Streetfighter Project