600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

removing baffels in stock pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: removing baffels in stock pipe...

18hp jump going from "punched out baffles" to a full system would be a nice gain - id love a 20% horsepower gain for some plumbing. but i still have to wonder about the big variation between the generally accepted power and what that one made. i'm also having trouble understanding your comment about rc51 range. i haven't researched the rc51 at length, but i'd be willing to bet that the powerband of the rc51 is completely different from the powerband of a 600rr, and really shouldn't be compared. also, not to call you an idiot, but i just wanted to make sure you knew that there are other things to consider than the little number marking the peak on your dyno chart. how often do you actually use that much power on the street? and would you really notice a difference of less than 1 horsepower at that rpm? i'd be more inclined to believe that dyno chart if there were 3 runs before and 3 after - so many variables can cause that tiny variation that one run each really wasn't enough testing to validate the findings. but when it comes right down to it, it's your bike, so if you can stand the raspy noise and the backfiring, then have at it. by the way, how much time overall did you spend researching, modifying, and testing your exhaust system? had you spent that time making money, you could have bought yourself that full system

Edit: i just realized i posted my reply after reading the first page, and in the second page, other people said it better than i possibly could. why don't we sticky this thread?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: fishnride

Hahahahah - 97rwhp out of an 07 600RR?!?!? Damn - that sucks.

My wife's stock 05 600RR just dyno'd the other night at 101.4rwhp. The hottest bike done that night was a new ZX14R that put out 161rwhp.
You guys should know by now not to compare dynos by now same bike will dyno different at different dynos, that is why you always should dyno at the same dyno. All company calibrate their dynos different and you never know if the shop even calibrate their. My brother bought a new dyno and it was giving us a different # on the same bike this was done back to back.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Retired Super Moderator

I do have a question.....Ripp'n, i've always found your posts very informative, and you seem to always know what you're talkin about, so please don't take this question as trying to undermine your statements. I was just wondering about whether there really is that much of a difference between a stock exhaust with baffles drilled out compared to most slip-ons today. The majority of slip-ons for our bikes don't even HAVE baffles...i know on my old jardine you could look right through the thing. It would seem to me that this would provide even less backpressure than a drilled stock pipe. I don't know a whole lot about exhaust, just makin a observation. Care to elaborate???

-Adam

Old 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Well, I'm no expert in the matter of exhaust flow dynamics, but I cut the baffels out of my bike. I also saw an increase on the dyno. only about 1.5hp. The real gains did not come around until a friend with an exhaust shop and anengineering degree designed and built me a custom pipe, no baffels no can, just straight through and louder than the hammers of hell. I also picked up 5.1 ponnies, Then add a head job and a power commander and velocity stacks,i dyno'd 114.2

Old 08-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Ol boy just wanted his bike to be a little louder. Yall didn't havta jam him up that hard. If you're balling on budget just go for it. You're not gonna jack your bike up to the point where is completely ruined. You might lose a little bit of torque/horsepower but as was stated earlier, "how often do you really use that peak horsepower on the street?"

He came, he asked a question, got a couple positive responses and went ahead with knocking his baffles out. He got his desired result of being louder and didn't seem to notice much on the torque/horsepower side of it.

Its not that serious, let it ride.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Ha Ha Ha, same ol' same ol'. I Have seen many wide open exhausts only 8 inches long. So, IMO I think straight through wide open can be beneficial(in areas)BUT tuning is the key as ripp'n stated.