CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/)
-   -   no exhaust (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/no-exhaust-123073/)

sickCBR599 03-27-2011 06:10 PM

no exhaust

Anyone ever take off the stock muffler? Is that bad for the bike to run no muffler? I have a 99 cbr 600 and with the stock muffler its extremly quiet.

platnumbob 03-27-2011 06:16 PM

I would think you would have to play with the jetting to make the bike run properly - it would also go from quiet to obnoxious, no exhaust would be worse trust me.

itsme71190 03-27-2011 06:53 PM

dont do it. youll hate riding without it and your neighbors will try to shoot you as you ride down the street. its way to loud.

platnumbob 03-27-2011 07:33 PM

maybe get a drill and drill some holes in your exhaust :)

itsme71190 03-27-2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by platnumbob (Post 1031448)

o word. true honda style.

spoolie25 03-28-2011 09:17 PM

lol thats great lol .. you could put a coffee can in it .. :icon_playing:

madman 03-29-2011 01:42 AM

i heard it gives you turbo power

amRRussel 03-29-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by sickCBR599 (Post 1031421)
Anyone ever take off the stock muffler? Is that bad for the bike to run no muffler? I have a 99 cbr 600 and with the stock muffler its extremly quiet.

:icon_saywhat:
Ok, first of all, you don't "need" backpressure to make it run right. The amount of exhaust restriction can change the power characteristics, but you don't NEED it. Keep in mind that a larger diameter exhaust pipe or header isn't always advantageous because it can reduce the exhaust pulse velocity, which also helps scavenge the combustion chamber.

Yes, your carbs will need to be rejetted and in fact, the throttle response may never be as good as orginal, if orginal was actually good,

You won't crack pistons because of cold air being sucked into the cylinder. There's enough high temperature metal around there that the outside air is going to be warmed up and if you think about it, what are you sucking into the cylinder in extremely cold weather? Cold air.

And don't even get me started on the "It'll burn valves" myth that so many people seem to believe. That ain't gonna happen either.

Just remember that increased noise doesn't always equate to increased power. Properly designed, an exhaust system can be quiet, minimize restriction and maximize power output.

If it's too quiet and all you are looking for is sounds and don't compare about performance then buy a cheap slip on. If you're going to run it open exhaust invest in ear plugs...

sickCBR599 03-30-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by platnumbob (Post 1031448)

Anybody ever do this on a stock 99 cbr 600? How many holes? What size holes and where on the muffler should I drill?

amRRussel 03-30-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by sickCBR599 (Post 1032403)
Anybody ever do this on a stock 99 cbr 600? How many holes? What size holes and where on the muffler should I drill?

Kid are you serious? :icon_screwy:

I understand you want instant gratification with your wants and can't wait until the money is available, but come on. If you want it to be louder for the time being take some of the packing out of the can to make it louder. DON'T take it all out because then your back to the scenario I mentioned before about having to rejet your carbs because of it leaning out.

OR

:icon_attention:
Focus on the important things like throttle control, braking, proper body positioning and cornering while you save up for the slip-on.