600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

new grips=way more pain then i thought

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008 | 02:12 AM
Default RE: new grips=way more pain then i thought

hey at least ur bar end didnt fall off in the next few hundred miles like mine did the last time i changed my grips[&:]

Old 09-16-2008 | 06:14 PM
|

progrip has a good selection of grips. as far as cutting down on vibration in your bars. your best bet is weighted bar ends

Old 10-11-2008 | 04:22 PM

I like ProGrip grips, they have a great selection.
As far as actual gripping goes....
I regrip golf clubs here at my job. We use grip tape, wrap the club shaft, then use a grip tape activator such as mineral spirits to lubricate the tape (and activate the "stick" for when it dries). Slip the grip on when the shaft/tape is well soaked, and when it dries there is no way you can twist the grip from the shaft.

This would work with regripping handle bars.
This way you can eliminate glue from going all over, and you can cut the griptape exactly to the grip's length.

On TOP of this, golfers like to have me wrap the grip tape around the shaft a few times to either form it better to their 'big hands', or sometimes they request it because it eliminates club vibration when hitting the ball.
I assume the same concept would work for vibrating handlebars and keeping your hands from falling asleep.

Oh, and hi, I am a new member, and this is my first post.

Old 10-12-2008 | 12:31 AM
Retired Moderator

I ran into an issue with my Rizoma's. The grip glue that I originally put on didn't really stick to the inside of the grip, which is just bare aluminum. So when we were in Durango, CO on a bike rally, it rained, and the glue let go..........which means I didn't have throttle whenever it got wet. But, when I got home, I scuffed up the inside of the grip with a dremel tool, applied a thin layer of grip glue and slid the grip on. A little seeped out of the end, but I just used a cloth to clean it up.

No problems since.