CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/)
-   -   how hard is it to change the clutch? 02 F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/how-hard-change-clutch-02-f4i-131182/)

0949er 09-28-2011 08:15 PM

how hard is it to change the clutch? 02 F4i

Hey guys how are you? I am having clutch noise while the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is out. Its a distinct almost "wher"ing sound. As soon as I pull in the clutch even slightly the noise stops.

First, is this a sign of a bad clutch or what? Do bikes have Throw out bearing or anything? (sorry, not use to bike mechanics, just cars) I am willing to do the clutch myself if it is as easy as people "say" in some reviews online. Anybody have any experience with this or can chime in on my issue?

Thanks a lot for your help. Loving the bike btw :) :) :)

kilgoretrout 09-28-2011 10:59 PM

Sounds normal to me. Every bike I've ever ridden has a distinct basket noise when they're in neutral with the clutch out. Some are more pronounced than others. I like it when they're really old and go "clickety click click CLACK!!!" :D

A little bit of "whirring" sounds like you're good. It's most likely just the spinning of the inner basket full of plates making a bit of noise.
When the clutch needs replaced, it's usually because it starts slipping due to worn plates or weak springs.

Clutch replacement on these bikes is like 10X easier than a car. Basically drain the oil, remove the cable, cover, bolts/springs, pressure plate, clutch plates. Then reverse. :D
If you need a repair manual, I have one hosted HERE.

0949er 09-29-2011 07:52 PM

thanks man, downloading the manual as we speak. I have no issues with slipping or anything, just being paranoid I guess. My friend says he cant even tell what I am talking about. I will let it go and see what happens! Thanks again for your help.

DonnyBrago 09-30-2011 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by 0949er (Post 1103303)
Hey guys how are you? I am having clutch noise while the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is out. Its a distinct almost "wher"ing sound. As soon as I pull in the clutch even slightly the noise stops.

First, is this a sign of a bad clutch or what? Do bikes have Throw out bearing or anything? (sorry, not use to bike mechanics, just cars) I am willing to do the clutch myself if it is as easy as people "say" in some reviews online. Anybody have any experience with this or can chime in on my issue?

Thanks a lot for your help. Loving the bike btw :) :) :)

The F4i is pretty well known for having a noisy clutch basket.

It is rarely an issue, if it starts to slip then it needs attention but otherwise just ignore it.

1st gear is normally pretty whiny too.

Just as a matter of course and to answer your initial question - changing the clutch is quite easy. Plates and springs are very easy to remove/install and the basket etc itself is simple if you have the right tools. Not that you need to do this though.

joelluing 03-07-2012 01:36 PM

Dead thread but this movie really helped me out when i did my clutch. Much easier to see it done than just hearing or reading about it.