CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/)
-   -   Front Brake upgarde for 600 F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/front-brake-upgarde-600-f2-123036/)

weenick 03-27-2011 12:04 AM

Front Brake upgarde for 600 F2

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if anyone has tried this before and I can't find a thread to follow.

I want to change my 600 F2 front brake calipers from 2 piston to 4 piston using honda parts. Does anyone know if a set from a 600F4 or a later model Fireblade or even a VTR will fit?

I need to be sure the Calipers will fit between the disc and the spokes and I only have about 44mm to work with.

Making brackets to aid the conversion will not be a problem as I'm pretty handy with that sort of stuff.

mark1200 03-27-2011 04:06 PM

i can measure my f4 cals for u. what do u need to know?

weenick 03-28-2011 04:07 AM

Front brake upgrade for 600F2

I need to know the distance (preferably in Millimetres) between the centre of the front brake caliper (centre of the brake disc) and the inside edge of the caliper to see if I have enough clearance for the caliper without it hitting the spokes of the wheel.

mark1200 03-29-2011 07:38 AM

42MM., total width = 84mm.
O.D. of disk edge, to spoke (max disk to spoke clearance) = 49mm.
inner side of disk pad area (I.D. of disk pad area), to spoke = 44mm. this is min clearance since spokes are tapered.
BOLT SPACING IS 62MM. I HAVE THE CALS OFF RIGHT NOW SO THEY ARE EASY TO MEASURE . If u need any more #'s just let me know. mine is a 2001 f4i

weenick 03-30-2011 02:27 AM

Brake upgrade for CBR 600F2

Hi Mark1200,

Thanks for taking the time to do that - You're a HERO and an ACE.

Some pre-loved 600 F3 Calipers look like they're going to find a new home.

I'll document what I do with Photo's so the next guy who goes down this path will have a light to guide him.

How's the biking weather up in Canada? - I thought you guys got snow most of the time. It must be a bugger riding a bike with snow shoes on!

cheers and beers

Weenick

Douglas_1987 03-30-2011 07:47 AM

Id be very interesed in that post as id love to upgarde mine as well

mark1200 03-31-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by weenick (Post 1032377)
Hi Mark1200,

Thanks for taking the time to do that - You're a HERO and an ACE.

Some pre-loved 600 F3 Calipers look like they're going to find a new home.

I'll document what I do with Photo's so the next guy who goes down this path will have a light to guide him.

How's the biking weather up in Canada? - I thought you guys got snow most of the time. It must be a bugger riding a bike with snow shoes on!

cheers and beers

Weenick

Glad i could help. if u need anything else just holler.
i thought things were warming up here. i have started to see bike out. then i wake up this morning and its snowing. Dam.
i am recovering from a broken wrist. i over braked on a cold track last oct. and went over the bars as the bike washed out from underneath me. i'm just getting back into wrenching, and looking forward the the 1st track day at the end of may. i moved the pegs up so my snowshoes wont drag anymore. :icon_bike:

weenick 04-02-2011 07:07 PM

Front brake upgrade for 600F2

Hi Mark 1200,

While you've got the tape measure out will you check the the distance in Millimeters between your forks - centre to center. This will allow me to see if the F4 forks are spaced wider than the F2 forks.

The weather here in sunny Auckland NZ is a mild 22 degrees Centigrade, the Sun is out, the roads are dry and I suppose I'd better hop on the bike and go for a blast up around the hills near my place. It's a tough life having good biking weather for 9 months of the year. By the way what is this snow stuff you guys talk about?

cheers

Weenick

mark1200 04-03-2011 09:05 AM

looks like the fork spacing is 203mm.
the weather has warmed hear and the snow is gone for the most part.its about 9*c.
riding season has begun. :icon_bike:

weenick 04-16-2011 05:33 PM

Mark1200 - Sorry to be a pain but I need to check something with you.
If I'm interpreting your measurements right, this means at the inner side of the disc pad area, the distance between the spoke side face of the caliper and the spokes is 44mm (because of the taper of the spokes) - This gives a distance (airgap) of just 2mm between the spokes and the caliper at that point.

Can you confirm this is correct and/or give me the actual airgap between the inside edge of the caliper and the spokes.

cheers and beers