600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Issues

I own a 2006 cbr 600rr and it has an HID kit i believe with the extra resistors i believe to make them work. As you can tell i havent owned the bike long. Last owner did this all himself.

This is what it has
hid headlings
flush turn signals
integrated rear light

THE ISSUES

First the blinkers both blink and work but the right side blinks faster then the left. Not the biggest deal

Second
On the main guage or cluster the left turn signal flashes to let me no i am turning or have my blinkers on. The right does not work so sometimes i dont no if i shut off my blinkers or if i have them on without leaning over the side to check. However i have seen the blinker work for a few seconds so my guess is its wiring or something. I dont think its the led in the guage but i could be wrong. ( This could be the reason the right side blinks faster correct)

Please help, i have posted this a while back and had no replys, the only thing is GO GET A WIRIN DIAGRAM. I tried to find one and couldnt and i am an electrical idiot and dont no where to start. Any suggestions will be helpful.

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...8/CBR%20600RR/

Last edited by danl23880; 06-27-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM

Well i see I am getting alot of help. LOL anyone or any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please i dont want to spend the money for a shop to charge me about 300.

UPDATE
I was riding the other day and the blinker on the main guage was blinking and working correctly for about 2 minutes and then stopped working again. Could this mean there is a short or what.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you said you have the resistors, which i guess you are referring to the ones on the led flushmounts which "slow the blink rate" down to normal bulbs correct?

might want to check and make sure your resistors on the right side are working correctly.
checking continuity might help along some of your wires as well.

have you walked around your bike and inspected all the lights to make sure they are all flashing? when one of my bulbs goes out, the side it goes out on speeds up. now I know led's are a bit different, but if both are flashing (except faster) it would seem like your wiring is fine, however your resistors aren't working/wired wrong.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM

well you are the only one who responded to this and i truly appreciate the input. I dont no how to put pic on site but if i figure it out i will take a few snap shots, I am horrible and have no clue about resisitors or what not but im sure some pic could help you understand the setup on the bike.

If u are willing would a personal email help for me to communicate and show you these things. If not i understand. Let me no i appreciate the help.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dan open up a Photobucket account, an online media storage website. It's free. When you upload pics to it, it gives you link codes to the picture that you can copy and paste elsewhere. One of the links is specifically for this type of forum software.

As for the resistors, they'd be related to the flushmounts as spicy said. The HIDs, you only have to worry about them if they don't come on. It's gonna be difficult to help with a DIY job someone else did. Everything you've said sounds like a craftsmanship issue. Meaning how well he put things together. Having the turn indicator intermittently on your gauges sounds like a connection issue.

Best advice is go into the work he did and check his work. You don't need to be an electrician or anything to do this. If you can see bare copper or solder, its bad. Check to make sure the connectors on the gauges are inserted tightly. Look for anything that appears it can wiggle loose and tighten it.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:25 PM

thanks i will try to post pictures by tommorow.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 PM

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...188/Bike17.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...188/Bike18.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...188/Bike19.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...188/Bike20.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...188/Bike21.jpg
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...188/Bike22.jpg

Picture 1 is my bike
Picture 2 is the rectangular thing i believe for the hid or the flush mount lights. It is rectangular and zip tied to the center staring colum right under the main guage. the resistor connects to that also
picture 3 is the resistior i thing. this is the small rectangualr box thing
picture 4 i believe is the end of the block thing (resistor maby) and the 2 wires coming from it.

I dont no anything about this guys and this is how i bought the bike. Let me no if you need more pictures. I dont no if these will even help. The resistors is hook to that rectagular thing then is fead into the front headlight. Right outside of the headlight is a little box thing all ductaped and it says amp on it.

Please read the above posts and let me no where i should start. All these things are confusing me, its not just a simple wire going into the headlight like a car.

PLEASE HELP

Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 AM

Anybody?

Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 AM

Do you have any bigger photos than that?

First things first -- generally people do a very poor job of wiring on a bike. For some reason they think a bit of electrical tape wrapped around two wires twisted together is a good connection. It will work for about a year, corrode, get wet, get pulled apart, short or in some other way fail. The stock wiring was far superior ONLY because they did it right... (Honda certainly cheaped out on wire gauge but that's a different story).

A note about electrical tape... it is useless crap and doesn't belong on a bike for anything other than an extra layer of mechanical insulation. If you are going to splice wires do one of two things --- buy high quality crimp connectors that have a built in heat shrink sheath, or better yet, install your own heat shrink tubing and solder the wires together.

Heat shrink will do two things - provide a tight seal around the connection that is dry and clean AND because it is shrunk right onto the wire it also provides mechanical strength (harder to pull the wires apart as the heat shrink holds them together).

------------------

Right flasher -- sounds like a loose connection if it blinks sometimes and not others. Best bet there is to follow the wires on the right hand side and see what they do... if they are covered in cheap electrical tape remove the tape and investigate.

The other possible place for the loose connection is in the dash itself. I have had to buy the little TINY dash bulbs and replace them... you can do it on the bike if you have steady hands. A little plug pulls out and the bulb pushes in. Check first that the bulb is snug before considering replacing it.

That it flashes two different rates is because they've either used two different resistors... or it may be a hint. Perhaps they've used two resistors on either side as they didn't buy the correct size.... and they've chained them together. In that chaining process they've ****ed up somehow on the right.

Sadly and honestly the only way to find out is to follow the wires closely. Disconnect the battery prior to work on the electrics. Remove the electrical tape... draw a diagram if you need to. Go slowly and think carefully. Cutting wires is not advised until you fully know why! (obviously)

Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Thanks i will be working on this in the next few days and i will let you know what i find. Do you think i need to take apart the main guage cluster or i should be fine with that.