CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/)
-   -   CBR600F3 (97) Dog Bone (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/cbr600f3-97-dog-bone-132412/)

ianp5uk 11-17-2011 05:01 PM

CBR600F3 (97) Dog Bone

Does anyone know what the standard 600F3 (97) dog bone length is?

I bought a longer one (TRW MCHL118) but it is the same size as the one already fitted to my bike so I'm trying to work out if my bike has already been lifted up or if the new part has been incorrectly manufactured. My dog bones are 100mm centre to centre.

ianp5uk 11-18-2011 03:54 PM

More on this:

I've been in touch with TRW who manufacture the tail riser dog bone (suspension link) I tried and they told me the PC31 CBR600F, i.e. F3 had 2 suspension linkage setups; one which had 100mm centre to centre as standard, i.e. mine and another that used a longer dog bone and that their part only lifts the longer standard version! You'd have thought they'd tell you before you buy the parts wouldn't you?

Anyway - does anyone know of a dog bone shorter than 100mm that fits the F3?

adrenalnjunky 12-02-2011 04:31 PM

sounds like there's a slight difference between the 95-96 F3 and the 97-98 (at least in OEM part numbers:
95-96 F3 suspension rod Part#:
ROD SUB-ASSY.
52465-MAL-305

97-98 F3 suspension rod Part#:
ROD SUB-ASSY.
52465-MAL-G00

But - neither OEM parts diagrams list any alternate parts for a different tuning package or anything. The SJR models have the same OEM part numbers.

that being said - I can't imagine there being significant difference in ride height between the 2 generations of F3 - it is possible the rear shock might have changed in eye-to-eye legnth or stroke, and they tweaked the rear suspension to acheive the same ride height - I'm just guessing here though, and I doubt it.

The better way to raise your tail, is to get a rear shock that is adjustable, the Fox twin Clicker is no longer in production, but can still be found here and there, and plenty of places still rebuild and tune them.

Or you can go with a F4 shock, which had a slightly longer overall measurement, so it raises the rear of an F2/F3 almost 2 inches.

ianp5uk 12-04-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky (Post 1116455)
sounds like there's a slight difference between the 95-96 F3 and the 97-98 (at least in OEM part numbers:
95-96 F3 suspension rod Part#:
ROD SUB-ASSY.
52465-MAL-305

97-98 F3 suspension rod Part#:
ROD SUB-ASSY.
52465-MAL-G00

But - neither OEM parts diagrams list any alternate parts for a different tuning package or anything. The SJR models have the same OEM part numbers.

that being said - I can't imagine there being significant difference in ride height between the 2 generations of F3 - it is possible the rear shock might have changed in eye-to-eye legnth or stroke, and they tweaked the rear suspension to acheive the same ride height - I'm just guessing here though, and I doubt it.

The better way to raise your tail, is to get a rear shock that is adjustable, the Fox twin Clicker is no longer in production, but can still be found here and there, and plenty of places still rebuild and tune them.

Or you can go with a F4 shock, which had a slightly longer overall measurement, so it raises the rear of an F2/F3 almost 2 inches.

Fitting the 95-96 linkage gives a 1" lift so I assume the shock was shorter. I did this and reduced it to 1/2" through the shock adjustment - I have fitted a Nitron race shock which is adjustable but not enough to lift the rear where I wanted it with the standard linkage. I don't want to throw this shock away and replace it with an inferior one to set ride height.

Anyway - I can report that having dropped the nose 1" and lifted the tail 1/2" it is still rock stable and seems to be dropping in fast enough for the moment. It could maybe turn a tad faster but weather is getting bad now so fine tuning will have to wait until next year. Lifting the rear too much can lead to other issues but I think I'll have to experiment to know. Found another problem once the track dried on Saturday - although the forks have been valved stiffer and stiffer springs fitted it is still way too soft. Once there was plenty of grip it dived under braking like a submarine under attack!