600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Carbon fiber slip-on and dyno tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon fiber slip-on and dyno tuning

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

You would be 100% wrong.
I think you missed my point. I didn't say you won't see power gains, I said it would be "a waste". How much did that 8hp cost you?

If you are going with a slip-on vs. a full system then you are probably not so worried about horsepower. If you were, why would you not spend the extra $200-400 and get a full system? Why get a slip that won't produce as much of a gain, then spend $200-300 to dyno tune it and get that last bit of power that hardly anyone will be able to notice on the street?

Also a word on custom maps. A custom map produces power because the dyno tuner is able to monitor the A/F ratio and get it as close to perfect as possible FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL BIKE. Due to manufacturing variances, gas octane, elevation, etc, different bikes will have different fueling requirements. Lets say that Squires bike came from Honda running on the rich side. When they dyno tuner does his magic he ends up dialing out quite a bit of fuel. Now Racer X throws this "custom map" on his bike. His bike just happened to be on the other end of the manufacturing variance and was already running close to the correct A/F. Loading the new map will cause a lean condition. Ever see what a lean condition does to a high performance engine? It's not pretty and it usually makes expensive parts into garbage.

Use someone elses "custom" map at your own risk.

The "custom" maps that exhaust companies and Dynojet provide have a "safety margin" built in so they run a little rich. This produces less engine heat and less chance of detonation.

I am not saying if you have the same setup as Squire that you won't make some more power, just make sure you know what you are doing and know how to recognize detonation. The EFI system on our bikes are not advaced enough to know when it's trying to destroy itself.

I have a slip-on and I play with the fueling to get the "feel" that I want. I may swtich to a PCIIIusb and a WBO2 so I can "street tune" mine. I don't think I would pay the $200-300 for a custom map.

YMMV.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Squire I would like to take a look at your Map if you wouldn't mind e-mailing it to me. I would like to see how the curves differ from what I am running.

I have gone through about three different maps now, and I am beginning to piece together the parts that I like.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Gimme yo email foo!

I will send it on over.

And the map was $200 well spent IMHO. **** HP, and smoother power delivery.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 AM

I pm'd you, but anyone with any two brothers maps shoot me an email with it to eekenterprises@yahoo.com and I would greatly appreciate it!!! I have an 06f4i and all the 06's have o2 sensor like the cali style emmisions, and I am at 3200 feet elevation. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM

how many times do we have to go over this
its not about power. custom maps fix the air fuel and torque curves dips and spikes that a slip on will cause. dont believe me. have your bike dynoed with a zero map on the pc3
the air fuel curve will go all over the place. it causes the bike to run smoother with better throttle response.

yes downloaded maps can be close but will never be spot on everywhere. it may be good in the low, mid, or high end but will never be totally perfect in all 3 like a totally custom one will.
best thing to do is download a map and get it baselined. then when you step up to a custom map they wont have to start from scratch and only need to fix the problem areas.

i dont know about you guys but i want my bikes to run their best under all conditions so the 300 i spent for a custom map is more than worth it. especially when you consider that in the grand scheme of things hp is usually much more expensive than that.

as far as power. honda gain power from a custom map because usually the stock map is rich. leaning it out to smoothen out the air fuel curve gains power

8-10 is the average with a 1000cc bike
3-5 with a 600

but like i said, its about how the power is delivered. smooth acell with a nice flat torque curve

as far as slip to full if it were only 200 dollars in difference then it would be a no brainer but consider that good quality slip ons are 500 bucks or more with 1400ish for a full. lets see slip on, pc3, map, slipper clutch, and track plastics or a full system only, thats a tough call.