600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Better late than never! Blue Neon post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better late than never! Blue Neon post!

Alrighty... this post is mainly in response to ffingers request about where I placed my neon and some pics associated with it after I did my R&G slider write-up (https://cbrforum.com/fb.asp?m=366634). Would have been up sooner, but ever time it got dark, I either forgot about it or was real busy, or didn't have my camara with me. I don't want to take everything apart, so this isn't going to be a full writeup. I'll show where I put the lights. I took off most every faring except the tank cover and front nose piece. Switch (not pictured) is located up and under, hidden, behind the passenger left foot pegs, under the tail. Everything was secured in place with velcro (one side on the fairing pieces, one on the light, you can buy a roll of it at walmart for like, $5). The velcro has lasted nearly 5000 miles with only one area showing even minimal peal (probably due to not enough cleaning prep before applying tape) but it's still holding well. This isn't "light" riding either... this is in monsoon-heavy rain, several times, super hot days of 107ish, everything. All the wiring was ran under the bodywork and held in place with zip-ties. The lights you can get from your local Cycle Gear, they'll run you about $100 for a complete "set". So, without further adu...
Orignal neon, lights on, picture.

First lights (both sides) located in the "point" where the top and mid fairing come together. I had to play with the adjustment here a bit so it didn't shine up at my face when they were on, since the lights face up towards you.

The back lights are secured to the frame, via velcro, up near the shock. No, they're nothing at all that would cause a clearance problem and it's nowhere near anything that could cause a problem. (Sorry for all the dirt, got caught in ANOTHER patch of rain the other day, but as you can see, still holding tight!)

I've got 2 more lights that are so well hidden, that I can't even get a good picture of them. They light up the back of the radiator and front vent area super well! To help with the "mental image" of where they are, they're located behind this panel, about where I'm pointing. (There's a plastic 'lip' they fit under, so you can't see them from outside the bike)

Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Better late than never! Blue Neon post!

And to continue, I ran the longer light bars (not the pods like the others are) along the lower fairings. Take care here, as you don't have a bunch of room to play with and you have to make sure your lighting doesn't touch your exhaust. It CAN be done with some careful work and placing, and no, I've had zero problems with heat. Only one of these (due, again, to heavy dirt, rain, and most likely not enough cleaning prep done in the first place) is starting to peal slightly, but not enough that I think it's going to come off anytime soon or worth the relatively easy fix yet. This is looking down through the front grill towards the exhaust. Kinda hard to see, but you can pick up the little blue led dots.

They're located about here on both sides...

And now some more pictures of it inside the garage, lights on then off, so you can see what glows exactly....
On...

Off...

Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 PM

And finally... a few more pictures from the sides and back while outside my house...
Left side...

Right side...

And back...

There you have it! Hope that helps anybody who's thinking about doing this to get some ideas. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to respond. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 AM

looks good man i was thinking of doing this sometime soon. im just kind of bent on what color i should get to go good with the bike. i have the white/silver 07, i was kinda thinking of doing blue but im not really sure what do you think would look good. any opinions welcome here

chace

Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 AM

very nice but please, clean that bike! Good job, I really like the final result

Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Haha, yeah, I do need to clean her up. I cleaned it up the day before it rained... go figure huh? At least I got a fresh new coat of wax on her. Got it done the day I got my seat cowl.

Anyways, bigcha40, here would be my suggestion. If you've got your lights on while you sit still, anythings good. But, if you're going to roll with them on, better check your local laws to be sure... but if I were to guess, they're probably something like mine here in Oklahoma. The law here states basiclly that you can have ANY color of light on the sides of the vehicle, but certain colors are not allowed to be seen from the front or the rear. Blue is illegal, red is illegal on the front... that kinda thing. Even though it looks like mine shines alot from the back, when I sit on it and it compresses the shock some, the light becomes very stealthy from the back.

The safest color to go with is Green. Green, for whatever reason, is legal all the way around the car here. (I've heard it's because it's not a police/ambulance color, like red and blue) If you like green, I'd suggest you go that route. You can (usually, check your local laws just incase) run green on all the time and usually not get any kind of grief. Blue is sexy, but depending on the temperment of the cop, it may get you pulled over. Red, I'd say, unless you've got it shining out the front pretty heavy, you should be fine. Orange gives it a neat "evil/halloween" look to me, should be fine everywhere. White (looks good, to me, on white bikes) looks real good, but don't point the LED's directly at people that will be behind you and you'll be good to go. Hope that helps!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 AM

Also... looking back at my pictures, I've GOT to figure out what's up with my camara, those distance/full bike pictures always seem to come out foggy...[:@]

Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Users

just for those that might be consider this....a great place for a lighting "system" that incoporates a remote for the lights is http://www.boogey.com/

seriously awesome stuff...i am going to buy a kit and do my bike up nice...

Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 AM

Your lights look nice man. Where did you get your strips and pods from? Where do you have the power run to? Do you have them on a switch or do they come on anytime the bike is on?

Please do something about those front turn signals. You have this awesome light set up and then you have these bulky signals hangin off the side.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Jay SWAT

Your lights look nice man. Where did you get your strips and pods from? Where do you have the power run to? Do you have them on a switch or do they come on anytime the bike is on?

Please do something about those front turn signals. You have this awesome light set up and then you have these bulky signals hangin off the side.
Believe you me, my friend, I'm working on those bus-lights for turnsignals! Next payday I'm grabbin' me a set of Protons, it's why it's still on my "to do" list in my signature.

I think I mentioned it up higher in the post there, but the lights I'm using are "Electropods" that I purchased at a local Cycle Gear store. They've got a set (and they come in all kinds of different colors) of 6 "pods" and 2 "strips", plus a switch for about $100.

I also mentioned that it's wired up to a switch, then from the switch to the battery. (no hacking into stock wires!) I don't have a picture of it yet (guess I'll grab one with my phones camara), that came with the light kit. It's located under my left passenger footpeg, hidden from site, and I can turn it on or off at anytime. (keep that in mind, because they CAN be turned on when the key is off, cool for looks and the led's use minimal electricity)

Okay, grabbing a picture... duckin' the boss man, GOGO! (brb)

Quick Reply: Better late than never! Blue Neon post!