600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

600 F4i Pipe Mods - A Question Regarding Back Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 F4i Pipe Mods - A Question Regarding Back Pressure

I would really like to get rid of that ugly stock can on the side of my bike... no, I want to get rid of any can. I was considering running a straight pipe. Before I break out the cutting torch... Will a reduction in back pressure cause a problem, if I have a custom map done for my PC?

I'm throwing on a BMC air filter and a few other things. Any KNOWLEDGABLE help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Problem as in mechanical? No. Problem as in a reduction in low end power? Yes, even with a custom map. If all you want is looks and/or sound then theres no reason not to do it.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have some welding talent, time & imagination, I would recommend trying to adapt a tail-up exhaust from a 600RR onto it.......or fabricate your own.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM

You will lose some low end power,but gain top end.I have done this before,but went back to a long pipe cause it was too loud lol.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM

they also make shorty pipes too, i ran mine straight piped for a while and it has a massive lag when your taking off fast. It pissed me off alot especially riding with friends, i was always playing catch up off the lights

Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM

if you don't mine losing some low end you'll be ok.

If you're talented with metal-working and weilding you can create a baffle to regain some low end.

I have a straight tip on my header about 6-8 inches long that was straight thru for a while, i made a baffle for it that i feel was a serious performance improvement. I lost a few HP but also shed quite a few pounds and she handled a lot nicer in the curves without that big fat stock pipe on the back.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM

will be insanely loud, your neighbors and local LEO will hate you, well ok LEO's may love you and may get a raise for the new income of funds :lol:

Loss of low end, gain on upper end that you'll prolly never use. And IMO sound like pure shyt.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Default exhaust

I got the Moto GP style exhaust and it has a small and I mean small amout of packing for baffling in it and it dumps out right beyond the lower fairing....I have not noticed any lag on take off but have noticed that it is LOUD!! I was coming to a friends house this weekend and he said he could hear me on the interstate a mile away coming. lol......

Old 06-11-2009, 02:13 AM

stick with a can that's been dyno tested and manufactured for the f4i. Otherwise you'll have a bike that just makes a lot of noise and you'll get frustrated real quick. By the way, can somebody tell me why a bike needs to sound loud? Is it to impress everyone? Is it to get attention? It certainly does nothing for performance. I just gotta know.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nwf4i
Is it to impress everyone?
Yes.

Originally Posted by nwf4i
Is it to get attention?
Yes.

Notice, you don't see the pros going with straight pipes. Compensating for something, imo.

Quick Reply: 600 F4i Pipe Mods - A Question Regarding Back Pressure