600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

$6 custom slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $6 custom slip-on

Simmer down!!!!

No need to get angry.

Woody, looks like a cool little project. cant wait for finished pics.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 PM

No reason for anybody to start getting upset.

MMGSport, I don't mean to offend you, but if you have to post a comment like your first one I guess you don't get the whole pride in doing it yourself concept.

I can just about guarantee that powdercoating would turn out better andlast longer. BUT, (like already stated) it's costly compared to six bucks and a few hours spent actually working on the project. PCmeans I have to find somebody (not just the first guy I come across, as I'm more than picky if I have to choose somebody else to handle anything on my bike) to do the job, send it/drive it to them, wait for THEM todo the job, pick it up/wait for it to come back, etc etc. NOT WORTH IT! Ihad a day off and it'sgoing to be raining and cold here for the next week. I made it a very small project that will accomplish two things:
1) I was able to remove thenasty-looking heat shield
2) My stock pipe will look goodwhen exposed without any shields

The reason for it taking so long is just waiting for the paint to completely cure enough to handle and re-install. It really wasn't a hassle at all. Above all, I learned how to R&R my pipe, how to spray paint metal (I've never done anything like this before), and will be learning how well rattle-can high-temp spray holds up.

No closet was turned into a spray booth. It was just in there drying as opposed to in the garage w/the high humidity from the rain. Spraying was done in the garage in a paper-wall area.

So, by me spending SIX bucks and investing some time into a small project, I've gained a LOT! I couldn't ask for anything else. As far as I'm concerned, it'd be a waste to PC a stock pipe/can. Just save a little more for a nice aftermarket one.

The whole point of this project was for the do-it-yourselfers that want a custom look for next-to-nothing when they are financially limited to getting that custom look.

+1 to anybody that understands.

MMG, I agree that I went in blindly with no knowledge of how well this will hold up but am more than ready to expect any sort of result. Obviously I'm hoping for success. Sometimes, when I get stuck with time on my hands and no riding conditions, I just want to be doing something with the bike. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 AM

no - i 100% know what you mean - thats why this entire forum is here...and its here year round - people post here even when it snows outside....for the love of it!! believe me, i totally understand the DIY piece, and i also do appoligize for being a bit of a dick - i just cant stand when people take on the "big brother syndrome" thats all - so in essence i was just sticking up for myself. and of course i went over the edge - i always do - thats why i bought a bike that will do 150mph!!!

anyway...carry on gents!! my appoligies

-- oh...one quick one though woody - i am in the wheel repair business - so i work with with piant, clearcoat and welding ect... all day long - and i work pretty close with people who do powder coating
- and the thing you should knnow is that the process of pc'ing is relativly easy - the sandblasting, the spraying with electric charge and the baking - its not really a finesse kind of thing - its more of you're a good as your equipment

just thought i'd through that out there!!!

see you all around!!!
(sorry again)

Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 AM

It's all good MMG. I know the process of powder coating and agree that it's relatively easyfor theGREAT results (when done right) given the simplicity of the process. (Check out BeVertical's blue wheels!!!)

+1 to people on here when it's snowing outside~!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 AM

lookin good, might have to do a little painting myself

Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM

im sure he could spare the 6 bucks. if he doesnt like the final look he can still go get it powder coated. like mmg saidthey have to sand blast it first to remove anything on it. last time i checked the sand blasting will take off paint. so 6 bucks is well spent to see if will look good.

anywho, it will look TIGHT! i love the blacked out exhaust on the new rr that some people have been doing. especially with the white bike. good job fella! i want pics soon!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM

Not that anybody was doubting how this would turn out, but these pics ought to shut 'em up!!!

[sm=wootwoot.gif]I LOVE IT!! This really completes the look of the bike in case you have to leave the stock pipe on. I was actually impressed with how well it looks on the bike. Now the real test of durability after thousands of miles....

Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM

This was well worth the time spent. If anybody needs help with it, PM or email me. Oh, and I almost forgot. I went through an entire can of this stuff. I ended up buying a second one to have on hand in case I have to touch up. This way it's on hand. Rattle away my friends, rattle away.

I'm going to wait with patience to see if somebody buys the WHITE colored spray...I was thinking about doing it, but figured it'd show dirt/carbon like a mother...

*Attachment pics are already posted on the above post. No need to view.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM

Turned out great!

And for only 6 Bones, great job!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM

Yea- my bike is in pieces right now putting in CA's FE and I seriously think I am going to do this mod while its apart

Woody, thanks for posting this!

I will PM if I get to a halting point.

Quick Reply: $6 custom slip-on